[SOLVED] Pc won't turn on. How to know which component is the problem?

Jul 2, 2021
Ok, so I upgraded my rig and decided to put most of my old parts into my brothers dinosaur pc so we can game. Long story short, after some incompatibility testing and waiting for other minor parts to arrive from delivery, it basically took 3 weeks before I was able to sit down and slap everything together.

After connecting everything and making sure several times everything was connected properly, the pc just wouldn't turn on after pressing the power button. There's a light on the mobo indicating power coming from the Psu but aside from that nothing happens when I push the power button (no fans spinning, no rgb lights, nothing at all).

After getting frustrated I decided to test the parts individually. The PSU looked fine as my brother tested it on one of those power reader things with the 2 wires (idk what it's called) and according to him it was functioning normally. The case was tested in the same way and it indicated working fine as well plus the case is one of the things we bought brand new for the rig. I tested the GPU by swapping it in on my rig and it worked fine. I took out the RAM and tried to start since it should have booted to the bios even without RAM or at least given a no RAM beeping sound on the speakers but sadly nothing happened so I ruled out RAM as well.

That just leaves the Processor and the mobo. I know I said that there was a light on the mobo earlier but I'm sure everyone here can think of multiple reasons why that doesn't really mean it's functioning properly. I didn't want to swap processors and test it on my rig simply because I was scared I'd end up breaking either of our CPU's (cut me some slack on this one my <Mod Edit> was expensive and I saved up for a while to get everything together, I didn't want to screw all that up).

Can someone please help me find out the problem? Or if I tested something wrong please tell me as well. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
This sounds like you have installed a mobo and many components into a new case. One common error made when that is done is failing to verify proper placement of stand-offs in the case. A stand-off in the wrong place can cause a short circuit to ground under the mobo, and failure to do anything. If you know all about that, just re-check. If you are not familar, post back here for details.
Jul 2, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

Case: Keytech t-300 midtower

Processor: Intel core i3 (forgot exact model but im pretty sure its 8th or 9th gen) .

Motherboard: Asus b85 Pro gamer ddr3.

Ram: corsair vengeance 2x 4gb ddr3.

GPU: not sure. Bro said he had it replaced somewhere down the line several years ago so I'm guessing it's not that old. Forgot to note it down when I tested it on my rig.

PSU: not sure either. It didn't seem to have any indication about its brand on the unit itself. I bought my whole rig originally from a good friend who knew his <Mod Edit> about computers back when I didn't know anything. That was a few years ago and it didn't show any problems the whole time I had it so I doubt the thing was poor quality.

Ill ask him to send pics of it so I can recheck the psu

Last edited by a moderator:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This sounds like you have installed a mobo and many components into a new case. One common error made when that is done is failing to verify proper placement of stand-offs in the case. A stand-off in the wrong place can cause a short circuit to ground under the mobo, and failure to do anything. If you know all about that, just re-check. If you are not familar, post back here for details.

Solution