PC Won't turn on if not unplugged for hours

madattitude

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
Hey guys !

So I have a problem with my computer :

At first it started to shutdown during gaming sessions (happened twice acutally) and after that I couldn't turn it on until I left it unplugged for hours.

Now it's getting really difficult to turn it on : when I press the power button nothing happens, the LAN LED and the keyboard are turning on but pressing the power button litteraly does nothing.

Again when I leave it for some time unplugged and try again it will power on and works normally.

I'm guessing it's the PSU because I live in a country where we have some power outtages and stupid me didn't install an inverter yet.

Would love to hear your opinions though

Solution
There must be some capacitor, either in the PSU or on MB that doesn't drain immediately because of some other faulty component, resistor for instance. Pushing start button when disconnected drains it. Unfortunately it's difficult to find out which one. Testing with some other known good PSU can either confirm or discount PSU as culprit.
Procedure is not going to do any damage but it's a sign of something being wrong.

madattitude

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

Ha well I was sure I already tried that with no success but hey I did today it and it worked ! Thanks :)

So what would be the problem here ? Can I rely forever on that power button trick ?

There must be some capacitor, either in the PSU or on MB that doesn't drain immediately because of some other faulty component, resistor for instance. Pushing start button when disconnected drains it. Unfortunately it's difficult to find out which one. Testing with some other known good PSU can either confirm or discount PSU as culprit.
Procedure is not going to do any damage but it's a sign of something being wrong.

Solution

TheTrueTYSpeedy

Commendable
Mar 11, 2016
I had a similar issue. It appears as if your psu is overheating. Mine was doing this due to a faulty fan. Check to see if your fan is spinning and if it IS, then check into a new power supply. If not, then buy a new fan and replace it.
Hope I helped,
Trés

madattitude

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

Well I reallly hope it's not the MB ^^'

Kay I have my old PSU (Cooler Master G650M) and I will give it a try this week-end (I replaced it because it started to reboot during gaming sessions, no problem to boot though). Man I really have hard times with PSUs (I hope it's the PSU :)D).

Well if the power button trick causes no harm I think I will continue to use it because I live like reallyyyyyyyyyy far from Europe so returning it or buying a new PSU (or MB, please don't be the MB) is really complicated for me.

You've been of great help sir, I'll keep it posted once I've tried the other PSU. Thanks !

madattitude

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

Hey man,

The computer is ON right now and the fan is spinning correctly so yeah I guess the PSU is at fault (again). I think that I'll just get a new PSU if the power button trick as suggested by CountMike doesn't work anymore.

Thanks for the tip :)

madattitude

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017

Well looks like the trick won't work forever.
I left the computer running last night to download and then played a bit this morning around 1 hour. Then I turned it off and tried to turn it on 1h later : without the trick 1st but as expected it didn't turn on, then with the trick but no success either. Pfiouuu

Dec 28, 2021
I have quite the opposite problem... If I left it unplugged for a while, I wont be able to turn it back on like normal and I have to wait for a while or unplug all of it's ram and HDD/SSD to make it work