PC wont turn on, not psu problem?

vip3569

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Hey guys. I was surfing the internet last night looking at some facebook pictures. I noticed when i clicked on "next" to see the next pic, a weird noise came from my computer, like a buzzing sound. My computer then shut off and couldnt turn back on. When i turned the psu to the "on" switch in the back, the lights from the led fans would flicker so I thought it was a psu problem.

So I ordered a new psu from newegg, the antec earthwatts 500w which is more than enough for my system. I installed it but it continues to do the same thing. When the psu is clicked "on" in the back, the led lights flicker and the pc wont boot when i hit the power button. Thanks for any help guys.

vip3569

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
My full specs are
Amd opteron 180 dual core
2gb g skill ram ddr-400
ati 3870
MSI K8N neo-4 platinum 939 motherboard
160 gb hard drive

I tried switching out the cpu/ram/video card but the problem still persists.

That sounds like the symptom of a severe overload or short circuit. Disconnect everything not needed to POST and see what happens. If your PC POSTs, then add things back one at a time until you've found your culprit. If your PC doesn't post, something on your mobo may have fried. Check for bulging or leaking caps. Did a screw or other FOD fall on it or get under it?