PC won't turn on. Powers on for half a second and then shuts off. Need help figuring out the issue.

Feb 23, 2018
Last night my PC shut off with randomly while playing a game. I tried to restart it but it now only starts up for a fraction of a second with the fans and lights coming on and then immediately shutting off. Can only attempt one turn on and then have to unplug and plug in again to use power switch.

I have pulled out the PSU and its self test button worked fine with a green light and the fan spinning up ok. I have looked for shorts and didn't see anything. I disconnected the power switch and switched it on with the pins. All of these things did not help.

Would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thank You.

Update: I have tested with another PSU and the problem remains. I have also removed the GPU, RAM, and unplugged the drives to see if just the motherboard and CPU could switch on and still have the same problem. Is the motherboard the issue or could it be something obvious I'm missing?

Solution
PSU self test is fine as far as it goes but it's not under any load when you perform that test (it's effectively the same as the paper-clip test).

Your PSU could be faulty and failing under load (ie when it's connected to the mobo and all the components & devices).

You'll only know for sure if it's failing under load by trying another PSU.
PSU self test is fine as far as it goes but it's not under any load when you perform that test (it's effectively the same as the paper-clip test).

Your PSU could be faulty and failing under load (ie when it's connected to the mobo and all the components & devices).

You'll only know for sure if it's failing under load by trying another PSU.

Solution