TheSwordsEcho

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
This has been happening over the last few days, and I've had this computer for the last year or so. The lights are lit on the motherboard and I even have a couple of earbuds charging on the front panel of the PC. However, when I press the power button the computer doesn't start. After a few tries it finally does start, but it's got me wondering if there's a bigger problem here. My only thoughts right now are that the power button is going bad or the PSU is going bad (which would be terribly annoying considering it's less than a year old). Any thoughts?

Build
CPU: i7-6700k
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA 1151
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080
PSU: CORSAIR RMX Series, RM750x, 750 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply
Case: NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Window Case - White

Solution
Jumping the power button is usually pretty easy...so I would try that to pinpoint it or eliminate it.
You can usually jump it at the back of the switch or at the MB.
If it's not that....I would try to jump the PSU.
If the PSU comes on...I would suspect the motherboard.
Jumping the power button is usually pretty easy...so I would try that to pinpoint it or eliminate it.
You can usually jump it at the back of the switch or at the MB.
If it's not that....I would try to jump the PSU.
If the PSU comes on...I would suspect the motherboard.

Solution

TheSwordsEcho

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Do you take the pc completely of the power when shutting down? Mean flipping the switch on the psu or taking power cable out of the wallsocket.

Sounds to me that it is likely motherboard as well.
I have switched the power supply off and back on, but that was only these last couple of starts because I was trying to figure out the issue. So far the "turn it off and back on again" approach hasn't worked. I should also mention that I do have the PC hooked up to a UPS so I can't imagine a small power surge being a cause.

I did receive an error message from the bios earlier today after this post and said the overclocking was not functioning correctly. I did recently change the bios settings to supply more power to available RAM and switched it back. I don't know if that has fixed anything, but I will find out tomorrow morning.

Hopefully it's not the motherboard going bad. I'd really rather not have to invest in new parts right now.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Did you try to power the pc by shorting the two pins on the motherboards front panel i/o?

K6Wv3AL.png

Use the two for PWRSW (PWBRTN+GND). If your case has a reset switch could you move that connector over to these and try with that if shorting them with a small screwdriver is abit scary.

Did you btw try without the UPS in between wallsocket and pc? So connect the pc directly to the wall for power.

TheSwordsEcho

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Did you try to power the pc by shorting the two pins on the motherboards front panel i/o?

K6Wv3AL.png

Use the two for PWRSW (PWBRTN+GND). If your case has a reset switch could you move that connector over to these and try with that if shorting them with a small screwdriver is abit scary.

Did you btw try without the UPS in between wallsocket and pc? So connect the pc directly to the wall for power.
I got up this morning, and it turned on without me having to do anything. So it's either fixed or it's an intermittent issue. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Thank you for your help, and I'll be trying these suggestions if it this issue comes up again.