Question PC won't turn on, suggestions?

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
Hi, I was using my computer to play GTA 5 when it all of a sudden just turned off. I have tried to disconnect everything and I am at the point where the motherboard and powersupply is fully disconnected and sitting on a cardboard box only connected to each other. If I try to start the PC but jumping the pins the PSU will just click loudly. The Strange part is that when the PSU is plugged in, the motherboard green light still works. I am unsure what has gone wrong. My friend has suggested that a virus is my problem considering I did not have antivirus installed.

Specs:
I7 4790k 4.6ghz
Asus sabertooth mark 2 z97
16b of hyperx / Kingston t1 design ram 1600mhz
GTX 980 g1
Corsair cs850m
That's most of it, if anyone has any ideas of what to do or what may have happened plz let me know. I am writing from my phone so sorry for any mistake.
Am going to try and maybe use a power supply from another computer if I can to see if that fixes the problem. Maybe recent viruses for Intel CPU's are the problem?
I will gladly take any suggestions.

Virus has nothing to do with powering on. At all. Ever.

If you have access to a volt meter, you can test the power supply manually. If not, you can at least test to see if the PSU turns on at all, although that will not tell you anything other than if the PSU is COMPLETELY dead or not. It will not tell if you it is partially or mostly dead, or is just very weak. Sometimes too weak will not allow the system to fire up as the motherboard requires a specific signal in order to do so.

You can test for totally dead with a paper clip, as follows.

Or you can test the PSU output with a volt meter, as seen here:

But considering the probable age of your power supply based on the age of the rest of the hardware, with that Haswell platform being about five years old, I'd say there's a pretty good chance that your CS series PSU, which was not a very good model to begin with even when it was new, is to blame. Obviously, testing to be sure would be preferred to just assuming it to be true, but if I had to guess without any empirical evidence, that is what I'd go after first.

kadec.a.mackinney

Commendable
Aug 21, 2018
Hey. Thanks for the response I actually don't have a paperclip but I can get one this Afternoon. Thanks for the insight and as far as the virus stuff goes I didn't really think it would matter either but my friend was forcing the idea so thanks for clearing that idea up. Will update when I can

TRENDING THREADS