Question PC won't turn on unless it's been off for days ?

Jul 27, 2022
Ryzen 3400G
Adata Gammix D30 2x8gb ram EVGA 600w bronze power supply

I built this computer myself on october 2020 with MOBO Asrock b450m hdv r4.0 It worked fine until 6 months later started this problem. When i shut down the pc or put it on sleep mode it wouldn’t tun on until i leave it for days and it will turn on, most of the time by itself. I did check every part one by one. Changed hard drive, cmos battery, power supply, and used different ram sticks. Even changed to another case. Anything did make a difference, still had the same problem that it would turn on when it wanted to and not even doing it anymore one day. Then i opted to replace the mobo, the same Asrock. And it worked, started to be fine again. Until 3 or 4 moths later the same thing started to happen. And again replaced the mobo, because i really needed the computer and didn’t have the money to buy a new computer. This time i used a different model, the Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2, that lasted only 2 months until it happened again.

So i got to the conclusion that the Ryzen cpu is broken a it makes the mobo get burned, but to be fair i don’t se any obvious damage on any part.

So i made this post to see if there is anything I didn’t know or do to make it work. It’s hard to get pc things here so it would be nice to have it running again, but I guess i will have to get money to buy a whole new computer.
Other things i did:
-update bios
-disconnect it from the ups i use and put it in a different part of the house

Long post but thank you for reading, hope you have a great day.

Ryzen 3400G
Adata Gammix D30 2x8gb ram EVGA 600w bronze power supply

I built this computer myself on october 2020 with MOBO Asrock b450m hdv r4.0 It worked fine until 6 months later started this problem. When i shut down the pc or put it on sleep mode it wouldn’t tun on until i leave it for days and it will turn on, most of the time by itself. I did check every part one by one. Changed hard drive, cmos battery, power supply, and used different ram sticks. Even changed to another case. Anything did make a difference, still had the same problem that it would turn on when it wanted to and not even doing it anymore one day. Then i opted to replace the mobo, the same Asrock. And it worked, started to be fine again. Until 3 or 4 moths later the same thing started to happen. And again replaced the mobo, because i really needed the computer and didn’t have the money to buy a new computer. This time i used a different model, the Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2, that lasted only 2 months until it happened again.

So i got to the conclusion that the Ryzen cpu is broken a it makes the mobo get burned, but to be fair i don’t se any obvious damage on any part.

So i made this post to see if there is anything I didn’t know or do to make it work. It’s hard to get pc things here so it would be nice to have it running again, but I guess i will have to get money to buy a whole new computer.
Other things i did:
-update bios
-disconnect it from the ups i use and put it in a different part of the house

Long post but thank you for reading, hope you have a great day.
Try one more thing. Unplug PSU and hold Start button for few seconds.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah sounds Like it’s latching up. Do the power supply thing as mentioned above when this happens and you should be able to boot right away are used to have this problem on an old machine as well

Jul 27, 2022
Yeah sounds Like it’s latching up. Do the power supply thing as mentioned above when this happens and you should be able to boot right away are used to have this problem on an old machine as well
Did it today, but this trick didn't work for me. Thanks for your reply

D

Deleted member 14196

Try booting it with just the ram and the CPU disconnect everything else

If it works then shut it down and plug in the hard drive or the SSD whatever it boots off of and test that. And repeat that process by adding each piece of hardware back to the system, until you find the culprit. I’m wondering if your motherboard might not be bad

If none of that works I would take everything out of the case including the motherboard and just try to start the motherboard with the CPU and the ram. That would rule out a short to the case

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Jul 27, 2022
Try booting it with just the ram and the CPU disconnect everything else

If it works then shut it down and plug in the hard drive or the SSD whatever it boots off of and test that. And repeat that process by adding each piece of hardware back to the system, until you find the culprit. I’m wondering if your motherboard might not be bad

If none of that works I would take everything out of the case including the motherboard and just try to start the motherboard with the CPU and the ram. That would rule out a short to the case
I tried every component one by one and didn’t work sadly.
But now i have a question, what are the chances for the mobo be shorted by a screw? I might have found something a little weird in one of the holes for the screws. I don’t have any other case around here but im going to leave it out to see if it changes something.

I tried every component one by one and didn’t work sadly.
But now i have a question, what are the chances for the mobo be shorted by a screw? I might have found something a little weird in one of the holes for the screws. I don’t have any other case around here but im going to leave it out to see if it changes something.
Screws are meant to short/ground MB to the chassis. If the spacer was misaligned with hole, screw wouldn't fit.

Reactions: CompuGuy71
Jul 27, 2022
Screws are meant to short/ground MB to the chassis. If the spacer was misaligned with hole, screw wouldn't fit.
I found this in the backside of the motherboard, that is one of the holes for the screws. It looks melted as every white dot should look like the one in the red circle. And i forgot the name of the thing where the screw goes, but it was a bit loosen up when i took out the motherboard.

I wasn’t able to take a good photo but i think it’s visible what in mean.

V0uZWZU_d.webp

CompuGuy71

Proper
Jul 20, 2022
I found this in the backside of the motherboard, that is one of the holes for the screws. It looks melted as every white dot should look like the one in the red circle. And i forgot the name of the thing where the screw goes, but it was a bit loosen up when i took out the motherboard.

Okay so do all your motherboard screw holes look like this? Are you saying the standoff from the case was loose when you unscrewed it?

That looks like it was designed purposely like that for the standoffs to rest on to me, but I am not sure what the rest of the board looks like.

V0uZWZU_d.webp
Those "dots" around the hole are made of soft solder and are there for purpose of grounding thru screw and standoff. It's normal.