Question PC won't turn on, was working just fine a few days ago

Mar 21, 2019
Hello,

I left for spring break on Sunday (Mar 17) and turned my computer off before I left. I have some back today and I cannot turn it back on.

Nothing happens when I press the power button to turn it on, nor when I press the reset switch (might've done something). I saw that you can short the power switch connectors on the motherboard to start up a PC, but this did not work either.

So now I'm left with trying to figure out what went wrong. The stupid lights that make my system glow colors still work on the motherboard so I assume power is reaching the motherboard. One of the other things I have noticed is that the spare PCIe slots that I don't have anything slotted into are considerably hot. I just checked them again and actually burned my finger so I'm cutting off power to my PC. I suspect a motherboard short but I do not know if some kind of dust or some such could get into the slot and make it incredibly hot as it serves as a conductor or something.

Since replacing a motherboard or PCU or some such is pricey and will be time-consuming, I was trying to gather some less panicked opinions on my situation.

Thanks for the help

Mar 21, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu

Intel i7700k
Nvidia GTX 1060
EVO Potenza 8GB RAM x2
ASUS Strix Z270E motherboard
Corsair HX1000i PSU
Couple of WD Blue Hard drives

It's off of memory for the CPU but I'm certain that's what it is. That being said, all these things we're working just few days ago so I don't think it's parts not working well together. But you could be asking for an entirely different reason.