Question PC wont turn on when cpu 4pin cable is connected.

Greyfalcon

Honorable
May 10, 2015
My pc turned off suddenly once and when i turned it back on, the bios screen came up properly but when the operating system kicked in, the screen started artifacting.

I turned the PC off and re-plugged the gpu cable thinking and turned it back on. But this time there was no video output. So i turned it back off and tried to start the pc without gpu in it. This time, there was still no video output even though the mobo fan and hdd had started spinning and i heard a faint whistling noise from the inside. Dont know from where specifically.

I turned it off quickly, and checked the motherboard for any visible signs of blown capacitors or burn-ins near the vrms and i couldnt see anything. I decided to check my psu alone then outside of the system with the 'sticking a u-pin in the 20+4 pin connector' method and it turned on, without any whistling sounds coming from it.

I put the psu back in. Connected only the 20+4 pin atx connector and the cpu fan, cpu led and hdd all started. But when i connected the cpu 4pin connector, nothing turns on. No fan spin, nothing. When i pull the main power supply pin off the wall socket and put it back in and try to boot it up, stull lights up for like a fraction of a second and then goes off and then no signs of life after the subsequent tries. The same thing happens again if i unplug and replug the wall socket.

I have no spare psu or mobo. And the place i live in has no tech savvy people or anyone with desktop pc anymore so cant borrow anything from anyone either.

The only thing i can do is buy new mobo or psu. So what do you guys think is dead here? Mobo or psu? Should i buy a new psu or a motherboard?

Specs:-
CPU - Fx 6300
Ram- 2×4gb 1333mhz ddr3
Mobo- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
Psu- Antec VP600
Gpu- GTX 960 2gb

it would be a shame to waste money on a new motherboard just to find this CPU has died.
considering what the core of this system is i wouldn't bother replacing anything and just starting over on a much better modern system.
but your PSU could use replacing regardless.

My pc turned off suddenly once and when i turned it back on, the bios screen came up properly but when the operating system kicked in, the screen started artifacting.

I turned the PC off and re-plugged the gpu cable thinking and turned it back on. But this time there was no video output. So i turned it back off and tried to start the pc without gpu in it. This time, there was still no video output even though the mobo fan and hdd had started spinning and i heard a faint whistling noise from the inside. Dont know from where specifically.

I turned it off quickly, and checked the motherboard for any visible signs of blown capacitors or burn-ins near the vrms and i couldnt see anything. I decided to check my psu alone then outside of the system with the 'sticking a u-pin in the 20+4 pin connector' method and it turned on, without any whistling sounds coming from it.

I put the psu back in. Connected only the 20+4 pin atx connector and the cpu fan, cpu led and hdd all started. But when i connected the cpu 4pin connector, nothing turns on. No fan spin, nothing. When i pull the main power supply pin off the wall socket and put it back in and try to boot it up, stull lights up for like a fraction of a second and then goes off and then no signs of life after the subsequent tries. The same thing happens again if i unplug and replug the wall socket.

I have no spare psu or mobo. And the place i live in has no tech savvy people or anyone with desktop pc anymore so cant borrow anything from anyone either.

The only thing i can do is buy new mobo or psu. So what do you guys think is dead here? Mobo or psu? Should i buy a new psu or a motherboard?

Specs:-
CPU - Fx 6300
Ram- 2×4gb 1333mhz ddr3
Mobo- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2
Psu- Antec VP600
Gpu- GTX 960 2gb
That's usual sign of VRM gong bad.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS