Question PC wont turn on when I added secondary SSD.

Nov 13, 2019
Specs:
Motherboard: M5A99fx pro 2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350
SSD 1: Adata SP 900 256GB
SSD 2: Adata SU 635 480 GB

My HDD died the other day so I got a secondary ssd to use a storage the Adata su 635. When I tried installing in my PC wont turn on. My motherboard has 2 navy blue sata connectors and it will only boot when my SSD 1 is connected to on these navy blue ports. I have tried putting the SSD 2 into other ports to no avail. Furthermore, even if SS2 is plugged in only with power the PC still wont boot. The fans spins for a half a second and nothing comes on i have to hit the PSU button on the back off and on to get the power button to attempt to boot up again.

You can swap locations of SSDs, cables (both SATA data and PWR, if modular), and/or SATA ports used on mainboard to confirm the SSD is actually bad, vice merely a bad port or cable...

Should take 3 minutes, given your symptoms.

(If at anytime someone used/mixed modular cables from one PSU with another PSU, the SSD in question could very easily be bad now...)

Nov 13, 2019
okay so i swapped the cables from SSD2 to SSD 1 and it boots no problem so its not the cable because both sets of cables worked for SSD1. The only thing I could think of now as to why the New SSD wont show up is the wrong Port type like AHCI or the SSD is just bad or got short circuited earlier.

I suspect it has a short circuit.
I agree.

I would inspect the protection circuitry on the dead SSD. If the TVS diode is shorted, then the PSU most probably killed it. Or maybe it was killed by the PSU in some other system.

You could confirm the presence of a short circuit by measuring the resistance between the +5V and ground pins at the SSD's SATA power connector.

https://pinoutguide.com/Power/sata-power_pinout.shtml