[SOLVED] PC won't turn on with 8 pin cable plugged into GPU

Apr 16, 2020
I boutght parts for bulding a new pc. My Configurations are

core i5 9400f
16GB Ram
Z390 a-Pro motherboard
Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC 6GB.
Corsair 600w RGB Psu

So i assembled everything totally fine. But the issue is when i connect the 8 pin pci cable to my gpu. Pc wont start ,just the front light blink and nothing happen afterwards. And when I disconnect the 8pin pci from gpu. Computer running smoothly. What shoul I do now.

N.B- My motherboard have no hdmi port only VGA and DP port. So I cant even test If my pc actually workinh or not. Thanks

Solution
You might need to test the GPU in someone eless computer to rule it out because if it works without gpu meaning something Wrong with the new GPU so send it back to store and get new one if you cant test it!

If you got DP cable try connecting that to MB to Mointor If It Has DP if you want to see your computer boot!
You might need to test the GPU in someone eless computer to rule it out because if it works without gpu meaning something Wrong with the new GPU so send it back to store and get new one if you cant test it!

If you got DP cable try connecting that to MB to Mointor If It Has DP if you want to see your computer boot!

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 16, 2020
Just Bought it on 10th April and got it yesterday. Due to this pandemic I ordered Online. And One more thing, I have 2 (6+2 pci cable). I connect 1 for cpu power and add another (6+2 = 8 pin) to my gpu. Then my pc starting totallt fine. But the cables are too short. So I can't connect both cpu and gpu at a time.

Just Bought it on 10th April and got it yesterday. Due to this pandemic I ordered Online. And One more thing, I have 2 (6+2 pci cable). I connect 1 for cpu power and add another (6+2 = 8 pin) to my gpu. Then my pc starting totallt fine. But the cables are too short. So I can't connect both cpu and gpu at a time.

Dose the GPU turn on when you have those cable plugged in that are to short also contact your store to see if they can get replacement for you?

I have 2 (6+2 pci cable). I connect 1 for cpu power and add another (6+2 = 8 pin) to my gpu.

How on earth did you manage to connect the 6+2-pin PCI-e connector to the CPU power socket?

They shouldn't physiclly fit together unless they are forced or modified. The connectors are shaped differently, because they are not interchangeable.

6+2-pin connectors are not designed to power the CPU, they are primarely for the GPU, and sometimes things like certain sound cards or other add-in cards which needs additional power.

The correct connector for the CPU, is usually made of two 4-pin connectors, which can be combined to fit into an 8-pin socket for CPU power.

From your description, something is connected in the completely wrong way.

Also, when a graphics card has two PCI-e power connectors, they are not optional, they are required. So you will not be able to make it work with just one of the two required PCI-e power connectors.

So i assembled everything totally fine. But the issue is when i connect the 8 pin pci cable to my gpu. Pc wont start

How can the PC be fine, if it can't boot when everything is connected?

Are you sure that the (2) 6 + 2 leads are not for GPU and the CPU has either (2) 4 pin connectors or (1) 8 pin connector?

Yes, I'm sure. CPUs require 4, 8, 12 or 16 pins for power, which is why CPU connectors (12V EPS) are always possible to be diveded into 4-pins. So a CPU power connector will be either a 4+4-pin cable, or in some cases a complete 8-pin connector. Never 6+2

Graphics cards always have 6-pin or 8-pin sockets, which is why PCI- power connectors are either 6+2 or complete 8-pin connectors.

What is the exact model of the Corsair PSU you have? I think this is a good time to look at the instructions.

https://ibb.co/LN9DNC5

Check this image. This is the cable for cpu (6+2) but both 2 cable are connected to each other and short. This cable is working fine.

https://ibb.co/r4QRjGp

This 8 pin for gpu. When I'm connecting. PC won't start.

What is the exact model of the Corsair PSU you have? I think this is a good time to look at the instructions.

EDIT

2nd image is for CPU. It looks like the 4+4-pin

https://ibb.co/LN9DNC5

Check this image. This is the cable for cpu (6+2) but both 2 cable are connected to each other and short. This cable is working fine.

https://ibb.co/r4QRjGp

This 8 pin for gpu. When I'm connecting. PC won't start.

1st Picture GPU Power 2nd Picture CPU Power

These are my CPU wires they perform 4 Each to connect to my 8 Socket CPU and at side of the cables it will say the names of each wire VGA CPU and such.
93276917_10158114566939719_9139822308628627456_o.jpg

Last edited:

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Yes, I'm sure. CPUs require 4, 8, 12 or 16 pins for power, which is why CPU connectors (12V EPS) are always possible to be diveded into 4-pins. So a CPU power connector will be either a 4+4-pin cable, or in some cases a complete 8-pin connector. Never 6+2

Graphics cards always have 6-pin or 8-pin sockets, which is why PCI- power connectors are either 6+2 or complete 8-pin connectors.

Why are you spouting off at me? I said the same thing you said but before you said it. (look at what you quoted that I said) Besides that I was talking to the OP. Then your asking me what Corsair PS I have. You should be asking the OP that.
btw - CPU power connectors come in single (as in only 1 4-pin connector) and with (2) 4-pin connectors. (ATX and EPS) I'll post a pic of a Gigabyte board with 1 4-pin, if you like.

Why are you spouting off at me? I said the same thing you said but before you said it. (look at what you quoted that I said) Besides that I was talking to the OP. Then your asking me what Corsair PS I have. You should be asking the OP that.
btw - CPU power connectors come in single (as in only 1 4-pin connector) and with (2) 4-pin connectors. (ATX and EPS) I'll post a pic of a Gigabyte board with 1 4-pin, if you like.

Uh, I'm a bit lost, what does a Gigabyte motherboard have to do with anything?

Also, I never said anywhere, that a motherboard or PSU can't have a 4-pin connector for CPU power, I actually pointed out that they do in in one of my posts in this thread.

I apologize if I answered the wrong post, it was not something I did just for fun - it was an honest mistake, not something I meant to do

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Uh, I'm a bit lost, what does a Gigabyte motherboard have to do with anything?

Also, I never said anywhere, that a motherboard or PSU can't have a 4-pin connector for CPU power, I actually pointed out that they do in in one of my posts in this thread.

I apologize if I answered the wrong post, it was not something I did just for fun - it was an honest mistake, not something I meant to do
The answer you gave in post #12 "It doesn't take a 4 pin it requires an 8 pin ... " I took out of context, I thought you meant in general for some reason but you meant specifically in this case.
I wish that was the only mistake I had made today.
My Apologies.

Apr 16, 2020
Thank you Everyone for the help. It was my fault. I mixed up my cables. Now everything works just fine. And yes my PSU shutdown automatically. So it didn't damage my mobo or gpu. Again thanks for your support guys

The answer you gave in post #12 "It doesn't take a 4 pin it requires an 8 pin ... " I took out of context, I thought you meant in general for some reason but you meant specifically in this case.
I wish that was the only mistake I had made today.
My Apologies.

No need to apologize, I can see I could have been more precise, and think I did confuse some of the posts at one point. I don't speak english natively, so sometimes this can cause some confusion if I choose the wrong words..
I should have paid more attention.
Anyways, hopefully no harm was done, and we seem to agree with regards to OP problem, so it is only a positive thing if more people are being able to confirm what's being suggested.