Question PC won't turn on with GPU installed ?

Luhketa

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
PC won't turn on with GPU installed

Hello everyone. Yesterday I swapped a RTX 3080 for an RTX 3080ti. Everything was fine, I was playing Elden Ring when suddenly my screens went black and my GPU fans went to 100%. I pressed the reset button and the fans still kept at 100% with no video, then I held the power button to shut the computer down. After this, I tried turning it back on again but it wouldn't do anything after I press power. I cleared the MB CMOS and after this, I pressed the power button again and the lights flashed for 0,5s before turning off again. If I try to press the power button it won't do anything, only if I have just cleared CMOS before, then it will flash the lights quickly. I installed a friend's 1660 Super and it worked just fine. Is it a faulty GPU or a aging PSU that won't handle the load? GPU is a Palit 3080ti Gamerock and PSU is a EVGA 850 Supernova G2 with around 5 years of use.

Edit:
CPU:. R9 5900x
Motherboard: Asus Strix B550-F Gaming
Ram: 16gb G.skill 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: 500gb Samsung 970 Evo Plus
GPU: Palit RTX 3080ti Gamerock
PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 G2
Chassis: NZXT H440

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
PSU is a EVGA 850 Supernova G2 with around 5 years of use.
Might want to try sourcing a PSU that has the same wattage at the entire system's disposal that comes from a reputed brand and is about a year old(not more). See if the issue persists.

A PSU will certainly output less power than it was advertised to as the capacitors degrade over time.

As a side note, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Luhketa

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
PSU is a EVGA 850 Supernova G2 with around 5 years of use.
Might want to try sourcing a PSU that has the same wattage at the entire system's disposal that comes from a reputed brand and is about a year old(not more). See if the issue persists.

A PSU will certainly output less power than it was advertised to as the capacitors degrade over time.

As a side note, please parse the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
What do you mean the same wattage at the entire system's disposal? Didn't know that was a thing. Also, I'm gonna edit the original post with the specs.