[SOLVED] pc wont turn on with new motherboard

Oct 22, 2020
ok so recently i decided to upgrade my motherboard to gigabyte B365M H and when i installed the new motherboard i relized that my psu has a 4 pin connector but my motherboard has an 8 pin so i used a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter to try and fix the issue as i saw online it worked for people who had the same problem but my pc still didnt start so then i thought it might have connected the front panel cables wrong so i saw online you can power your pc by touching the power sw pins together with a screw driver and it still didnt power.
so now i wonder what am i supposed to do buy a new psu or maybe the screw driver trick is not legit also i would love to know if theres a chance that my power connectors from the case are just too old
this is my psu: https://icecat.biz/us/p/compucase/hec500te-2wx-r/power+supply+units-hec-500te-2wx-4605491.html
thanks for everyone that helps and sorry if my english is bad.

Solution
ye my psu is 100% working and the cpu fan is in the right spot.
how sure are you that this could mean my mb is dead because i dont know how i managed to kill a new motherboard

almost 0% chance that you killed it. jumping the power connectors never ever killed a board, that being said if you touch something your not supposed to then you're in trouble - which is why i dont recommend you do it.

as for your problem, it's probably because of your psu - either because it's bad or because your adapter trick doesn't work - either way using an adapter should be a last resort

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
hey man what processor do you have... might be a bios thing, that's usually the case for AMD processors.

also are any of the lights on your mb coming on - any signs of power reaching the components.

also you really should stop trying to bridge things with a screwdriver, it might work but if you touch the wrong thing it can fry your board

Oct 22, 2020
hey man what processor do you have... might be a bios thing, that's usually the case for AMD processors.

also are any of the lights on your mb coming on - any signs of power reaching the components.

also you really should stop trying to bridge things with a screwdriver, it might work but if you touch the wrong thing it can fry your board

im using intel i7 9700 also a newly upgraded component on my pc, and there is not sign of power reaching the components

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
do you have a way to verify that your psu is working... i usually just pull it out and plug it into my old pc.

it's either that or your mb isnt working properly- as far as i know

oh, also make sure that your cpu fan is plugged in properly (kind of a hail mary) but modern pc's dont turn on if the cpu isnt plugged correctly (Plugged into the slot for the cpu fan and not a case fan)

Oct 22, 2020
do you have a way to verify that your psu is working... i usually just pull it out and plug it into my old pc.

it's either that or your mb isnt working properly- as far as i know

oh, also make sure that your cpu fan is plugged in properly (kind of a hail mary) but modern pc's dont turn on if the cpu isnt plugged correctly (Plugged into the slot for the cpu fan and not a case fan)
how sure are you that this could mean my mb is dead because i dont know how i managed to kill a new motherboard

lynx1021

Distinguished
You said you used a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter, could be bad, From what I heard you don't need an 8 pin for the CPU unless you are overclocking. Your PSU is junk, goes for about $30 on ebay, a quality PSU will run anywhere from $60-$100. Try plugging your CPU 4 pin in the part of the socket away from the front of the board until you can get another PSU.

Oct 22, 2020
You said you used a 4 pin to 8 pin adapter, could be bad, From what I heard you don't need an 8 pin for the CPU unless you are overclocking. Your PSU is junk, goes for about $30 on ebay, a quality PSU will run anywhere from $60-$100. Try plugging your CPU 4 pin in the part of the socket away from the front of the board until you can get another PSU.
i already tried using the 4 pin alone and it still didnt power thats why i got the adapter, do you think getting a new psu would work or maybe i somehow did kill my mb?

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020

almost 0% chance that you killed it. jumping the power connectors never ever killed a board, that being said if you touch something your not supposed to then you're in trouble - which is why i dont recommend you do it.

as for your problem, it's probably because of your psu - either because it's bad or because your adapter trick doesn't work - either way using an adapter should be a last resort

Solution