matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
Hey guys so I am having an issue with my PC. I have currently a ASUS PRIME B250-PLUS and I have 2x 4GB 2666MHZ DDR4 CORSAIR VENGEANCE installed on the 2 gray RAM slots.
Recently with the new MSF2020 game I got myself a used CRUCIAL DDR4 2400MHZ 1x 8GB RAM module, and plugged it one of the black slots.
The PC turned on but was stuck in the ASUS loading screen, and the keyboard and mouse and other peripherals did not work. I tried it again and this time there was no display whatsoever on the monitor.
I checked online and this stick is compatible with my mobo, so I am confused?
I also tried to update my BIOS usign the UEFI utility via internet but the PC shut down and restarted into windows with no notice whatsoever.

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you want 16gb, my suggestion if is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.
Then, try adding in your old 8gb,
If it works, good; you now have 24gb.
If not, sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Wolfshadw

Titan
DDR4 RAM is particular when it comes to compatibility. Not only does it need to be compatible with the motherboard, but it also needs to be compatible with any other RAM that may be installed.

Remove the 2x4GB RAM modules and install the 1x8GB RAM module into the appropriate slot (see your motherboard manual) and test to see if the system boots. If it does, the new RAM is not compatible with your old RAM and should be returned. If it does not, then the new RAM is not compatible with your system and should be returned.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: matonaku

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017
DDR4 RAM is particular when it comes to compatibility. Not only does it need to be compatible with the motherboard, but it also needs to be compatible with any other RAM that may be installed.

Remove the 2x4GB RAM modules and install the 1x8GB RAM module into the appropriate slot (see your motherboard manual) and test to see if the system boots. If it does, the new RAM is not compatible with your old RAM and should be returned. If it does not, then the new RAM is not compatible with your system and should be returned.

-Wolf sends

Thanks I can try that, or send back and get another 2x 4gb of the same brand as the ones I currently have?
I assume that will work? (and I will still have 16GB in the end)
or just get a single 8GB module from same brand maybe?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Thanks I can try that, or send back and get another 2x 4gb of the same brand as the ones I currently have?
I assume that will work? (and I will still have 16GB in the end)
or just get a single 8GB module from same brand maybe?

No. Even RAM of the same manufacturer/speed may not be compatible. If you want to upgrade from 8GB to 16GB or more, you need to REPLACE what you have. Not add to it.

-Wolf sends

A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

If you want 16gb, my suggestion if is to buy a 2 x 8gb kit that matches your current specs.

Solution

matonaku

Reputable
Dec 19, 2017

OOoh okay thanks for that! I thought since I had the 2x 4gb kit I could fill in the extra 2 empty slots with something similaror 8gb in one single module as long as it was compatible with the motherboard... but seems like that's not the case.
I'll buy a 2 x8GB kit eventually and hopefully that'll work.

Last edited:
OOoh okay thanks for that! I thought since I had the 2x 4gb kit I could fill in the extra 2 empty slots with something similaror 8gb in one single module as long as it was compatible with the motherboard... but seems like that's not the case.
I'll buy a 2 x8GB kit eventually and hopefully that'll work.
Sometimes, that works. I think it becomes less likely with a basic motherboard like the B250.
Such motherboards will not have a sophisticated bios allow syou to increase ram voltage that can sometimes make things work.

May 14, 2020
Hey guys so I am having an issue with my PC. I have currently a ASUS PRIME B250-PLUS and I have 2x 4GB 2666MHZ DDR4 CORSAIR VENGEANCE installed on the 2 gray RAM slots.
Recently with the new MSF2020 game I got myself a used CRUCIAL DDR4 2400MHZ 1x 8GB RAM module, and plugged it one of the black slots.
The PC turned on but was stuck in the ASUS loading screen, and the keyboard and mouse and other peripherals did not work. I tried it again and this time there was no display whatsoever on the monitor.
I checked online and this stick is compatible with my mobo, so I am confused?
I also tried to update my BIOS usign the UEFI utility via internet but the PC shut down and restarted into windows with no notice whatsoever.
Another thing to keep in mind, try to avoid using a single or an odd amount of ram sticks. This makes the motherboard run in single channel mode which reduces performance. And like mentioned earlier, buy a single kit of whatever capacity you want to use, for example if you want 8gb, buy a kit or 2x4gb, 2x8gb if you want 16gb and so on. Most memory manufacturers have a configuration tool, just search the brand and ram configurator and after selecting your motherboard make, model and chipset it will give you a list of ram that officially works with your motherboard. Also known as a QVL. Good luck