Question Pc won't turn on with one of the sticks

aviv32103210

Reputable
Jun 11, 2018
Installed a new cpu cooler due to overheating, Everything was ok until I noticed that I didn't put back the stick in slot 1 (i removed it because it interfered with the cooler, and when I put it back in the pc would turn on for a brief second, then turn off, rinse and repeat.
Tried replacing that specific stick with the on in slot 2 and the same issue again.
Should I replace the stick?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What motherboard do you have? Unless it's a two-slot motherboard, having sticks in consecutive slots is rarely the correct two-stick configuration. Are you sure the cooler isn't still interfering with the slot? If both sticks aren't working in that slot, that would point to a motherboard issue.

aviv32103210

Reputable
Jun 11, 2018
What motherboard do you have? Unless it's a two-slot motherboard, having sticks in consecutive slots is rarely the correct two-stick configuration. Are you sure the cooler isn't still interfering with the slot? If both sticks aren't working in that slot, that would point to a motherboard issue.
B85m-g, mini atx.
I have 4 slots and 4 sticks each 4gb, and its not a faulty socket i think vecause the pc didn't work when i put the bad stick in other locations either.
Though i didn't try to insert one of the middle sticks in slot 1, you think maybe some thermal compound got into the socket?