Question PC won't turn on

mattc1983

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
Hi All,

New to forum so excuse me if this has ended up in the wrong section.

I have some knowledge with PC's but not a lot, keen to learn though

Basically, my PC won't turn on at all. No response from the power button

Specs are
Asus Z170 gaming motherboard
GTX 1080ti
I7 6700k
16mb Ram

Been working fine for over a year no changes, only thing i did notice leading up to this failure is the PC did fail to boot a couple of times, like press button and nothing happens but didn't think alot of it, just thought the button was sticking as always booted second time of trying.
Anyway, couple of nights ago nothing.

• The LEDS on the motherboard are on.
  • When i hit the power button no response, nothing kicks in, literally nothing seems to happen
  • I have checked the PSU using a multimeter and seems to be ok.
  • When i do the paperclip short between green and neutral, you can hear a click on the PSU even with no power. When the power is on, with the paperclip the PSU fan turns on.
  • Tried booting with no RAM, 1 RAM, GPU out and still nothing
  • Removed the battery, let is discharge overnight and in again, still nothing

Looking for suggestions going forward please, I'm stuck!!

thank you

Matt

mattc1983

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
this to force a boot i presume? or shortcut the button essentially

I haven't no, I'll have have a look into that thanks.

Did see mention of it, but wasn't sure how/where to do it to be honest. This is where the 24pin plugs in?

Thanks

this to force a boot i presume? or shortcut the button essentially

I haven't no, I'll have have a look into that thanks.

Did see mention of it, but wasn't sure how/where to do it to be honest. This is where the 24pin plugs in?

Thanks

Ok. Didn't realize you hadn't built a PC.

You have lights on on your motherboard while the PC is "off" because the PC is in "standby". The button on your case is a "soft" power button. It doesn't actually close and open a power circuit the way a "hard" switch would. All it does is shorts two pins on the motherboard. The shorting of these two pins signals the motherboard to "tell" the power supply to go ahead and deliver the rest of its available power to the rest of the motherboard so we can POST and boot into the OS.

If this button is broken or the wire has a break in it, you can press it all you want, but it will never short the power on pins. But since all this button does is short those two pins on the motherboard, all you have to do is disconnect the button's leads from those two pins and tap them with the tip of something metal (essentially "shorting" those pins).

On your board, that cluster of wires should be all the way down in the lower right of the board and the two pins that are for the power switch are labeled "PWR SW".

mattc1983

Honorable
Sep 1, 2014
And no mate, never built a PC or done much more than upgraded some basic parts, added ssd bits like that. I know how it all goes together and works, but just the basics.

Tried the steps on my first post all from googling but totally stuck from here

Thanks for your help

TRENDING THREADS