[SOLVED] Pc won't turn on

logikabg2004

Commendable
Aug 12, 2018
I decided to clean my pc and put some new thermal paste.
Removed the heatsink , applied the thermal paste and then removed the cpu so that I can clean the motherboard out of the dust with cotton, but some of it got stuck in the pins of the cpu socket, so I took a brush and dipped it in medical alcohol and cleaned the cpu socket , then I put everything back together, booted up the pc, fans started working, gpu led lights turned on , the monitor lit up and said no signal , so I turned it off and couldn't turn it back on again , no fans spinning , no lights.
I checked the power cables and switched the CMOS battery and still nothing works.
I also removed the RAM from the slots so I can remove the heatsink.
My question is which component is brocken or I am missing smth.

Last edited:
Solution
To answer your question, I'd wager that ALL of your components are likely fried, save maybe a few but assume they're all bad, because hook one up into a new PC and you may give it the same condition with a now shorted part. plug a bad GPU into your mobo and now its popped, which throws the PSU and so on. You said you put medical alcohol on the CPU, so I'll assume this was Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. What was the water content of the alcohol you used, was it cheap (70% alcohol) or expensive (90%)? How much time did you give it to dry? I'm assuming very little, since you're willing to take a brush to the CPU pins... Based on your sypmtoms, it sounds like you booted your PC with water on the CPU pins; this is pretty much the only way to...
Don't ever clean the CPU pins. Unless absolutely necessary. They are very fragile. My first thought would be to carefully examine the pins for any bent or broken pins. Another possibility is they were still damp when the computer was turned back on.

Otherwise reseat everything and try again.

logikabg2004

Commendable
Aug 12, 2018
Don't ever clean the CPU pins. Unless absolutely necessary. They are very fragile. My first thought would be to carefully examine the pins for any bent or broken pins. Another possibility is they were still damp when the computer was turned back on.

Otherwise reseat everything and try again.
Well one of the pins was a lil bent so I fixed it and nothing happens , only the first time after I turned it on the cpu fan spinned for 1sec and stopped, also there seems there are some scratches on my cpu in the back.
Also can a damaged power supply let more voltage out and kill your components.

Feb 19, 2020
To answer your question, I'd wager that ALL of your components are likely fried, save maybe a few but assume they're all bad, because hook one up into a new PC and you may give it the same condition with a now shorted part. plug a bad GPU into your mobo and now its popped, which throws the PSU and so on. You said you put medical alcohol on the CPU, so I'll assume this was Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. What was the water content of the alcohol you used, was it cheap (70% alcohol) or expensive (90%)? How much time did you give it to dry? I'm assuming very little, since you're willing to take a brush to the CPU pins... Based on your sypmtoms, it sounds like you booted your PC with water on the CPU pins; this is pretty much the only way to simultaneously fry every component connected at once, Even a PSU explosion doesn't get all your parts like a wet CPU will ;)

Solution

logikabg2004

Commendable
Aug 12, 2018
To answer your question, I'd wager that ALL of your components are likely fried, save maybe a few but assume they're all bad, because hook one up into a new PC and you may give it the same condition with a now shorted part. plug a bad GPU into your mobo and now its popped, which throws the PSU and so on. You said you put medical alcohol on the CPU, so I'll assume this was Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. What was the water content of the alcohol you used, was it cheap (70% alcohol) or expensive (90%)? How much time did you give it to dry? I'm assuming very little, since you're willing to take a brush to the CPU pins... Based on your sypmtoms, it sounds like you booted your PC with water on the CPU pins; this is pretty much the only way to simultaneously fry every component connected at once, Even a PSU explosion doesn't get all your parts like a wet CPU will ;)
I found the problem the gpu got fried and because my motherboard doesn't have a led light or sound it didn't beep.