Question PC wont turn on

Jan 18, 2021
Hi,
I was hoping for some advice about a broken pc. The computer was working fine for most of last year, but recently stopped turning on. The specs are:
ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
Arctic Freezer 34 eSport
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM sticks
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan GPU
Seasonic Focus GX-550 PSU

So far I have:
  • Tested the PSU with a tester, and it seems to be fine.
  • Disconnected the power switch from the motherboard, and tired to turn it on directly with screwdriver.
  • Shorted the ‘clear RTC’ pins and removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery (although I haven’t bought a new battery).
  • Tested both RAM sticks in each slot.
None of this had any effect. The only difference was when the 8+4 ATX connectors on the top left of the motherboard (which powers the CPU, if I understand right) were unplugged, which caused all the fans to start spinning for a second, then stop (apart from the GPU fans, which stayed on) when the power switch was pressed.

I think this means the problem is either the motherboard or CPU, most likely the motherboard, but I was hoping for some advice before I committed to buying new components.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi,
I was hoping for some advice about a broken pc. The computer was working fine for most of last year, but recently stopped turning on. The specs are:
ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
Arctic Freezer 34 eSport
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM sticks
Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 Super Twin Fan GPU
Seasonic Focus GX-550 PSU

So far I have:
  • Tested the PSU with a tester, and it seems to be fine.
  • Disconnected the power switch from the motherboard, and tired to turn it on directly with screwdriver.
  • Shorted the ‘clear RTC’ pins and removed and reinstalled the CMOS battery (although I haven’t bought a new battery).
  • Tested both RAM sticks in each slot.
None of this had any effect. The only difference was when the 8+4 ATX connectors on the top left of the motherboard (which powers the CPU, if I understand right) were unplugged, which caused all the fans to start spinning for a second, then stop (apart from the GPU fans, which stayed on) when the power switch was pressed.

I think this means the problem is either the motherboard or CPU, most likely the motherboard, but I was hoping for some advice before I committed to buying new components.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Did you have any overclocks on the CPU? And have you tried turning it on and off with a long power button press a few times?

TRENDING THREADS