Question Pc wont turn on when using onboard graphics

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Hi guys

Have took the gpu out and using on board gpu. At first it took me 3 presses of the reset button on the motherboard for it to show pictures, so I have setted everything up like resolution and all that then switched the pc off to put everything back together again.
When I went to switch it on, normally the led shows up with some numbers but it didn't show this time but didn't think anything off it but noticed mouse and keyboard didnt work either. It powers up and the fan is spinning apart from one which is very odd so I tested it with another plug and it worked.

Seems like part of the motherboard is working and some isn't.

Never experienced this befits.

Can any advise please?

Many thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU and the make and model of the unit, as opposed to just the wattage.

The way your thread reads out, to me, it seems to be a PSU issue. It may be faulty or failing. Then again, your specs will help corroborate that assumption and the age of the unit.

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU and the make and model of the unit, as opposed to just the wattage.

The way your thread reads out, to me, it seems to be a PSU issue. It may be faulty or failing. Then again, your specs will help corroborate that assumption and the age of the unit.
Apologies

My set up is:

Mainboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme 4
Processor: Intel i5 4570S 2.90GHz
Memory: Kingston Hyper Beast 16GB PC3-12800
GPU 1: nVidia GeForce GTX 480
Power: Corsair CX600 Modular (roughly a year and half)
Case: typhoo pro
Hard Disk: Seagate 1TB
ssd: 256gb
hard disk: 2tb

Last edited:

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
ok guys

this is very strange indeed, i have put the gpu back in even though no power was going to part of the mothernboard and now everything works. i dont really understand the logic in this, the gtx480 uses so much power but yet it powers on but without the gpu it powered up once then failed after that.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
does anyone know why there is only part of the motherboard works when i am using the onboard graphics?

it worked first time then after i switched it off, i was not able to turn it back on.

any help as i really wouldnt mind using the onboard as it looks neater and using less power too.

many thanks

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
when i activated integrated gpu, i changed the primary grpahic adapter to onboard, i didnt realize i had to enable igpu multi monitor too, correct me if i am wrong please, i will try it out tomorrow.