PC won't update to Windows 10 because it says it is part of a domain?

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
I've done several updates to windows 10 and on other machines and this is the first time I've seen this.

I go through the normal update procedure but during the compatibility check it errors out saying the computer is connected to a domain and to contact my system administrator.

I have tried logging in as the non-domain admin user, but nothing works.

Any suggestions?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Then take yourself out of the domain, you will need to know the orginal admin password before it was brought into the domain to log back in however.

Right click "this pc" either on your desktop or in file explorer, select properties a window opens. On the right click change settings, a window opens select "change" near the bottom, under "member of" change it to work group then it will ask you to restart and you will leave the domain. If you cant figure that out I will look for a guide with pictures for you.

whitenack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
Disconnected from the domain and was able to upgrade to Win10, but when I joined back to the domain all my files were gone. It completely wiped the local user account. That's an aggivation. I have all those files backed up but surely there was an easier way.

did you do a clean install or an in-place upgrade? Files are left alone (but not programs) in an in-place update. Plus there should be a folder call old.windows on the C drive as well that you can browse. That's what W10 uses to roll back to 7/8 for 30 days if W10 doesn't work right.

Clean install of course deletes everything.

did you check the C:>users>folders? When logged in as the local admin your user folder is different than the user folder you saw as the domain/user. There should be a big listing of all the user folders in that location. Might have to check the old.windows folder to see it.