[SOLVED] PC wont wake from sleep mode

SNEAKY ZACK

Honorable
Apr 19, 2015
Every once in awhile when I got to wake my PC up it wont turn on by the keyboard or mouse. But if I press the power button all the LEDs and fans come on for for 1-3 seconds then it turns completely off. After another press of the power button it boots up like normal and I wont have an issue with sleep mode for a few days.

What can cause this? Could it be my PSU or Surge protector? I also have had problems with random freezes that don't crash the PC but freeze my display for a few seconds then come back with no error could this also be caused by the same problem?

Specs
i7-8700k
G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-e
ASUS ROG STRIX 1070ti
Corsair RM850x PSU

Solution
Actually, it's MOST likely a driver or BIOS issue. I'd make sure that you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed AND that you check both the drivers at the motherboard product page (LAN/Ethernet or WiFi drivers. Audio drivers. Chipset drivers) for the latest driver versions and install them as necessary. Don't assume Windows, using the Microsoft supplied drivers, has you covered, because they probably don't. Always use the manufacturer specific drivers EXCEPT when there are specifically chipset drivers available from Intel or AMD for your chipset. If there are, on their website, then use those. For Z390 I have not found any on Intel's website so far, so using those found on your motherboard's product page is the best...
Actually, it's MOST likely a driver or BIOS issue. I'd make sure that you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed AND that you check both the drivers at the motherboard product page (LAN/Ethernet or WiFi drivers. Audio drivers. Chipset drivers) for the latest driver versions and install them as necessary. Don't assume Windows, using the Microsoft supplied drivers, has you covered, because they probably don't. Always use the manufacturer specific drivers EXCEPT when there are specifically chipset drivers available from Intel or AMD for your chipset. If there are, on their website, then use those. For Z390 I have not found any on Intel's website so far, so using those found on your motherboard's product page is the best bet.

Beyond that, I have found many systems with intermittent issues resuming from sleep and even my system does it every seven or eight attempts to resume from sleep, having to press the power button to get it to wake, and I know I have everything set right and have attempted to find the problem for a long time with no success. One thing I'd definitely do for sure because it DOES make a big difference for some people is to be sure you have disabled hibernation. Hibernation and hybrid sleep are big time problems for many users when it comes to sleep problems.

Disabling hibernation should not affect sleep working, except in a positive manner. Disabling hibernation disables hybrid sleep, which has a tendency to help standard sleep modes work correctly in SOME cases.

Solution