Question PC wont wake properly after being put to sleep

Sep 14, 2019
FIXED: Motherboard BIOS needed updating. Really simple but key oversight on my end.

When I put my PC desktop to sleep, the entire PC shuts down as I imagine it should. But next, when I try to power it back up by pressing the power button on my case, everything on the inside seems to power up appropriately but my monitor doesn't wake. Soon after this, the PC shuts itself down and tries to restart, only to get stuck again as it did on trying to wake from sleep. Once this occurs I hold down the power button on my case for a hard shutdown, wait a few seconds, and power it back up. At this point it throws me into the BIOS where it gives me several options regarding boot up. All the options seem to work fine (overclock or default). I then successfully boot through Windows. The interesting part is that after all that, the programs that were running when I originally put it to sleep, are still running. This means the memory appropriately saved whatever I was doing like the sleep function should.

I've been having this issue for several months but never addressed it until now for a couple reasons: 1. Because the work-around is as simple as never putting my PC to sleep (which is not a big deal for me) and 2. I plan on upgrading my system soon and I'd like to be certain that my hardware is not the issue.

I tried turning off Windows 10 fast start up because I read it can cause multiple restarts but the issue persists.

System Specs:
MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A motherboard
Intel Core i5 6600K @4.0ghz (sleep problem persists in default)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) @ XMP 3200 (sleep problem persists in default)
EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 FTW
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1 80+ GOLD 650W, Fully Modular 120-G1-0650-XR
Windows 10

Thank you for the potential help, let me know if I'm missing any pertinent info.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY