[SOLVED] PC wont wake up from sleep when hit keyboard

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
My newly built system is not waking up from sleep when i hit my keyboard.
I have done everything google has told me. Made sure to allow device to wake up pc, i have gone into bios and changed keyboard waking to enable. Checked power settings. Hibernation is off, fast start up is off.
My keyboard light turns on when i hit my keyboard but the pc doesn't wake up.
Nothing is working i still have to hit the power button on the case to wake it up.

Solution
How old do you think this keyboard is? Sometimes these would need specific keyboard drivers in order for some (or all) of the buttons to work properly (even for wake-up). One way to go about it would be to look up the model of the pc the keyboard came from and download the keyboard software (if it will work with your system).

And just so we are all clear, sleep probably works just fine on your PC. Its the keyboard it doesn't like.

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully there are some labels on the back of the keyboard.

If not, did the keyboard come with your computer? What brand computer?

Likely some generic keyboard with limited functionality and endurance.

When the computer is up and running look in Reliability History. There may be some error codes and warnings related to the failed wake ups.

Have you tried other known working USB ports on your computer?

Do you have another known working USB keyboard to test? Borrow from family member or friend perhaps.

Have you tried your keyboard on another known working (will wake up) computer?

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Hopefully there are some labels on the back of the keyboard.

If not, did the keyboard come with your computer? What brand computer?

Likely some generic keyboard with limited functionality and endurance.

When the computer is up and running look in Reliability History. There may be some error codes and warnings related to the failed wake ups.

Have you tried other known working USB ports on your computer?

Do you have another known working USB keyboard to test? Borrow from family member or friend perhaps.

Have you tried your keyboard on another known working (will wake up) computer?
keyboard is from old store bought HP pc. I could wake my old pc up fine with this board. This is the only one i have. I dont have any other available usb ports unless i am able to plug it into one of the 3.0 ones?

HP -SK 2085 is the model number

Ralston18

Titan
Last edited:

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Try the USB 3.0 ports. The ports should be backwards compatible.

Does the keyboard have a small round button (one of four) with a crescent moon icon?

If so, does that button put the computer to sleep?

Have you tried the following link:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/ans...~/windows-10-will-not-wake-up-from-sleep-mode

You mentioned "hibernation" being off - what about the troubleshooter part?
The moon button does put the pc to sleep. Troubleshooter found no issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Have you gone down the following path?

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options ==> 5 underlined options.

----

Going back to Device Manager

Device Manager > Keyboards > Right click your keyboard (or any keyboard) > at bottom select Properties then Power Management tab.

Is the "Allow this device to wake the computer" box checked?

There are also some additional setting to be found via

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > For developers. Click the "Show setting options".

May take you to some windows and settings you have already visited and tried. However, there may still be something that was missed.

BillWiTheScienceFi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Have you gone down the following path?

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options ==> 5 underlined options.

----

Going back to Device Manager

Device Manager > Keyboards > Right click your keyboard (or any keyboard) > at bottom select Properties then Power Management tab.

Is the "Allow this device to wake the computer" box checked?

There are also some additional setting to be found via

"WIN" + "I" > Update & Security > For developers. Click the "Show setting options".

May take you to some windows and settings you have already visited and tried. However, there may still be something that was missed.
As stated above I have already allowed devices. I'll look at the other settings and see. If not I give up and I'll just deal with pushing the power button to wake it up...

How old do you think this keyboard is? Sometimes these would need specific keyboard drivers in order for some (or all) of the buttons to work properly (even for wake-up). One way to go about it would be to look up the model of the pc the keyboard came from and download the keyboard software (if it will work with your system).

And just so we are all clear, sleep probably works just fine on your PC. Its the keyboard it doesn't like.

Solution