Question PC work for months and now won't boot?

Samusear

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
I'm sure I'm missing something I haven't tried but I'm just getting fed up I built my PC about 4 or 5 months ago and it has been absolutely fine with no problems at all.

So I've been playing Elden Ring and this first happened on patch day so like 3 days ago I had also plugged in a second monitor for the first time. I know some people had some performance issues with Elden ring and figured well here's my first crash running the game. Fans and lights were on but the display was black had to turn off my psu to boot and it was fine.
Then the next day me and some friends were playing a game we've played all the time and the same crash happened in the lobby nothing intensive going on at that point I started to worry.
So last night it crashed again but this time it would not boot.

My build is : AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB Vision OC SeaSonic FOCUS PX 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power supply
So on this mobo there are LEDs to help diagnose problems the CPU led is on. There is also a display for error codes the last code that displayed was 40 I couldn't find that one in the manual. And when I turn it on now the display reads 00. Forgot to mention when I turn it on now fans and lights all come on in the case but the mouse and keyboard don't turn on and there is nothing on the display.

So far what I have done is removed and reinstalled the CPU, GPU, and ram. Re-applied the thermal paste to the cpu as it was not the best application I've done. Reset CMOS. And tried booting with a single stick of ram rotating the stick each boot and I tried with all 4 of my sticks.

I think it has to be a problem with the cpu or mobo but any insight or anything I could try I'd really appreciate it.

Lutfij

Titan
To rule out the processor being the root of the issue, try and drop in any Ryzen 5000 series processor into your motherboard. if the donor/test processor works on your motherboard, the issue is with your processor and your board is fine. you can then take your processor over to a know working/supported motherboard. If the processor works on the donor motherboard, then the issue is with your motherboard.

Samusear

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
To rule out the processor being the root of the issue, try and drop in any Ryzen 5000 series processor into your motherboard. if the donor/test processor works on your motherboard, the issue is with your processor and your board is fine. you can then take your processor over to a know working/supported motherboard. If the processor works on the donor motherboard, then the issue is with your motherboard.
I don't have any spares to test either part with although I was able to flash the bios and it still didn't work. I'm going to see if I can rma the cpu and hopefully, that goes through and it's problem solved. Otherwise I'll try to rma the board and see if that goes through. But thanks for your help!