PC worked, then stopped. Can't even get to bios

triv25

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
I apologize in advance, I posted this elsewhere but giving my uncertainty in the cause, here might have been better?

I don't know if i'm putting this in the right section, i've often visited this site to read about people with similar problems and see how they resolved them. First time posting, thank you in advance for any consideration you pay to this.

I recently built a new pc, only bringing back and older PSU and CD RW drive I never thought I had problems with.

When I assembled it, it gave me a little bit of a hassle with the board and grounding which I resolved. I also had to insert the ram one at a time and restart until it recognized all of it. But then I got it up and running, boot was fast, file transfer rates fast, GPU was a big upgrade for me. By my measurements it was a success.

Only a day or two into using it, I received an uncorrectable error notification after only having been on it for about 10 minutes. Then i restarted it, received another, restarted it again and had it freeze up on me. This all seemed weird to me, that the problem wouldn't occur during the long gaming session the day before, but now.

I tried to reinstall windows but it restarted in the middle of clearing the partition and now as it stands I can't even get it to post. I've tried one memory stick, removing it from the case to make sure grounding wasn't an issue again, disconnecting everything, checking connections. Everything was connected and even trying to boot with nothing but the on board graphics and one ram stick would result in failure, no bios, no beep. The only thing that comes on is the fans and the LEDs

I don't want to return several parts that could be completely fine, guessing at what my problem is. I'm far from an expert but i feel like the only culprits are the PSU the CPU or the MOBO. I've run a few diagnostic programs and the psu voltages SEEM to be in-line. I have a hard time believing the Motherboard could be fine one day then just die the next. The most likely thing seems to be that I accidentally got a tiny bit of thermal paste on the underside of the cpu chip and did my best to gently remove it before i installed it, but that seems like the most likely culprit to my untrained brain. It was ceramic so non-conductive? The MOBO lights appear to function, as it warns me when I have no ram in the slot, but the CPU warning light doesn't engage to signal a problem.

Could that cause the problems I experienced? If it did, wouldn't it have happened under strain and not when borderline idle?

MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I56600K

SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3000C15D-8GVRB

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan (cpu didn't come withheatsink)

Sorry for the lengthy or possibly misplaced post but I could really use a hand, and again I appreciate anyone even taking the time to look at this.

triv25

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016
That was indeed the error. Unfortunately it didn't give me any more detailed information. I took it apart when I cleaned cpu. Everything looked fine. I'll check again when I get home from work.

triv25

Commendable
Aug 20, 2016

I honestly don't remember. I think I had a tiny bit on the tip of my finger and when I held the chip, it rubbed off onto the very outside of the bottom. Why I had the chip out after I applied it I don't recall. Maybe there was some on the tube or I had to readjust my heatsink or something. Oh nvm, I think I accidentally put too much on and I was attempting to remove some and got it on my finger then transfered it to the bottom edge.

TRENDING THREADS