Question PC working at some places but not another

Dec 3, 2021
Hi, I have this really weird problem where my pc turns on in some places but not another.

I bought my pc about a year ago and all of a sudden my pc doesn't turn on one night. I try everything to get it turn on and eventually give up, sending it to a computer shop which says its a motherboard problem. After two months of the motherboard being in China and getting repaired I get it back and it works perfectly fine.

Another 6 months pass and my pc suddenly doesn't turn on again. I go through all my cables and check everything but the pc still wont turn on. I tested the paper clip trick to see if my psu was the problem but the fans turned on after connecting two of the pins, my motherboard light is also on when it's plugged in so I don't see why the psu would be a problem.

Eventually, I bring my pc to another repair shop where they plug it in, turn it on, and all of a sudden it perfectly works. Afterwards I bring it home and it's working fine again, then a day or two after same issue, the pc wont turn on. I go back to the shop and guess what it turns on.

Then I thought that maybe it was the fuse box which I checked and everything seemed to be totally fine, I then checked a floor above me and below me and tried to test their sockets to see if it would turn on. It still didn't so I decided to bring it down to the management office of my apartment building and magically it turns on there. I bring it back to my house, works for a few days and then it just completely shuts off again.

I recently tried leaving my pc unplugged for about 6 hours and that seemed to turn it on but not long after the same problem occurred, I tried this method again and it doesn't work now.

I thought that maybe my pc had finally died and brought it to the pc shop again last night, and it turns on fine at the store but not at home.

I'm beginning to believe I need to call a priest to exorcise my PC..

Parts:
Asus TUF B450M PLUS Gaming
GTX 1650 SUPER
Ryzen 5 3600
Thermaltake 650W PSU
Patriot P300 512GB SSD
Patriot 16GB 3200Ghz Ram (Not exactly sure what it is, I got it as a present)
WIndows 10

Do you have another power supply you could swap in temporarily?

The paper clip test on the PSU isn't going to tell you much that is worthwhile.

Have you done any type of hardware testing?

Do you have any software installed that might let you track temperatures or voltages or fan functionality, etc? Something like HWInfo64, for instance.

No overclocking? BIOS at defaults?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermaltake 650W PSU
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? I hope you don't have one of those SMART series units. I'm also suspecting you might be having a grounding issue. Do you get a mild tingling sensation when touching the chassis with your bare feet making contact with a non-carpeted/non-wooden floor? Speaking of chassis, you forgot to mention the make and model of your case.

I tested the paper clip trick to see if my psu was the problem but the fans turned on after connecting two of the pins, my motherboard light is also on when it's plugged in so I don't see why the psu would be a problem.
The paper clip test is a waste of time. It does tell you that the PSU works but what it doesn't tell you is how much power it can output at that moment of time...it's also why you're asked to induce a load of any kind...be it from a dead HDD or a useless case fan. So that test doesn't state anything. For all intents and purposes, the PSU might be faulty or failing...if you don't have a grounding issue.

I try everything to get it turn on and eventually give up, sending it to a computer shop which says its a motherboard problem. After two months of the motherboard being in China and getting repaired I get it back and it works perfectly fine.
Also, why did you need to send the board for repair?

Not really necessary, your crib might be devoid of a grounding wire if anything, would explain why the system works in another system but not in your crib...due to a build up of static electricity.

At least that's what my guesstimate with other similar system's in person has taught me.

Dec 3, 2021
Do you have another power supply you could swap in temporarily?

The paper clip test on the PSU isn't going to tell you much that is worthwhile.

Have you done any type of hardware testing?

Do you have any software installed that might let you track temperatures or voltages or fan functionality, etc? Something like HWInfo64, for instance.

No overclocking? BIOS at defaults?

Unfortunately I only have one computer with a removable PSU, the other one I have is too old. I've reseated the RAM, Lithium Bat, unplugged and replugged psu, gpu but thats about it. I think I've had HWINfo64 but havent used it much.

My bios was at defaults except for me turning off the motherboard rgb so I would have a rainbow while I sleep, I also put up my ram usage from 2133 to 3200 because I upgraded my ram to a 16gb 3200

Dec 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Thermaltake 650W PSU
Thermaltake is the brand of the unit while 650W is the advertised wattage of the unit. What is the model of the unit? I hope you don't have one of those SMART series units. I'm also suspecting you might be having a grounding issue. Do you get a mild tingling sensation when touching the chassis with your bare feet making contact with a non-carpeted/non-wooden floor? Speaking of chassis, you forgot to mention the make and model of your case.

I tested the paper clip trick to see if my psu was the problem but the fans turned on after connecting two of the pins, my motherboard light is also on when it's plugged in so I don't see why the psu would be a problem.
The paper clip test is a waste of time. It does tell you that the PSU works but what it doesn't tell you is how much power it can output at that moment of time...it's also why you're asked to induce a load of any kind...be it from a dead HDD or a useless case fan. So that test doesn't state anything. For all intents and purposes, the PSU might be faulty or failing...if you don't have a grounding issue.

I try everything to get it turn on and eventually give up, sending it to a computer shop which says its a motherboard problem. After two months of the motherboard being in China and getting repaired I get it back and it works perfectly fine.
Also, why did you need to send the board for repair?

Not really necessary, your crib might be devoid of a grounding wire if anything, would explain why the system works in another system but not in your crib...due to a build up of static electricity.

At least that's what my guesstimate with other similar system's in person has taught me.

Thermaltake Litepower 650W Power supply - (LTP-0650P-2-UK) is my power supply or at least what it says on the website where I bought it. My case is a HUNTKEY GX580H Tempered Glass Gaming casing chassis (ATX, M-ATX, ITx) white

I don't feel any tingling sensation when touching it, in fact I rarely touch it because its relatively away from my feet.

I sent the motherboard repair because the first time I sent it to the shop I bought it from, they said it was a motherboard issue and had to send it back to the manufacturer for a warranty fix or something along those lines.

Is there anything I can do for the grounding wire thing? Like if I can test or fix it?