Question PC Workstation may be overwhelming UPS, which beeps and shuts down power

Apr 4, 2022
1) This might be really obvious, but it needs asking. Is my UPS unit simply inadequate?

Outervision Power Calculator Results:
Load Wattage 675 W
Recommended UPS rating 1300VA
Recommended PSU Wattage 725W

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850 850W 80+ Gold

System essentials:
AMD Ryzen 9 3950x
2 nVidia 2070 Supers

UPS Unit:
480W Line Interactive 900VA

Symptoms: I do remote 3D animation / simulations. For the last six months, when I render high load scene files to Redshift's Render Viewer my UPS unit will beep, and if I don't cancel my render, it cuts power. The problem is debilitating to my work. Sorry if the question seems obvious. I'm looking for confirmation and possibly an explanation (see below for part 2).

2) If my UPS is over limit, there's a secondary question. What is the process making the UPS become overwhelmed? I wouldn't be surprised if my wall power circuit is overwhelmed. But when the beeping happens, the wall circuit breaker doesn't trip. Is it the case that my UPS unit is sensing my wall power is likely be overwhelmed, attempts to run battery backup, but my workstation is beyond the UPS limits, so it sounds the alarm?

RealBeast

Titan
While it may be the quality of the UPS, as long as your line power is still active your UPS should not be an issue. Just don't attach your monitors to the battery portion and set the software to shut down soon after the power outage. In the future I would consider APC UPSs as they are quite reliable with good software to control shutdowns.

I assume that your office wall power is 20 amp. I run 5 machines off a 20 amp circuit with 7 monitors and somewhere over 20 HDDs, along with a ton of other stuff but start ups are one at a time and all computers are on APC 1500VA or better UPSs.

Apr 4, 2022
If by line power you mean wall power, my workstation is capable of blowing my circuit under heavy load. So my UPS would seem to be an issue, and my line power / wall power would of course be a rather larger issue, no?

While it may be the quality of the UPS, as long as your line power is still active your UPS should not be an issue. Just don't attach your monitors to the battery portion and set the software to shut down soon after the power outage. In the future I would consider APC UPSs as they are quite reliable with good software to control shutdowns.

Apr 4, 2022
That's confirmation, thanks. Now, how is this happening? Is it happening in the way I theorized? Because as I said, my line power circuit breaker doesn't trip. Is the UPS interceding when it 'senses' a possible circuit overload on my line power? I have a Tripp Lite AVR900U -- 480w / 900VA. I'm just trying to understand the process, thank in advance.

You are overloading the UPS. Get a bigger one.

That's confirmation, thanks. Now, how is this happening? Is it happening in the way I theorized? Because as I said, my line power circuit breaker doesn't trip. Is the UPS interceding when it 'senses' a possible circuit overload on my line power? I have a Tripp Lite AVR900U -- 480w / 900VA. I'm just trying to understand the process, thank in advance.
Assuming you live in the US the circuit in your room is good for near1500watts. You shouldn't ever trip that breaker unless you have a room AC on same circuit. What's happening is you're drawing to much power from the UPS.

Reactions: damage_jack
Apr 4, 2022
Yes, I'm in the US. I need to check my apartment wiring, which is a different subject. Several circuit breakers trip too easily.

Meantime, your rig appears to be somewhat like my rig (going by your sig line). You might pull about the same power as I do minus one GPU. Any recommendation for a UPS unit? How much higher should my UPS be rated for wattage than my workstation's power draw?

Assuming you live in the US the circuit in your room is good for near1500watts. You shouldn't ever trip that breaker unless you have a room AC on same circuit. What's happening is you're drawing to much power from the UPS.

Yes, I'm in the US. I need to check my apartment wiring, which is a different subject. Several circuit breakers trip too easily.

Meantime, your rig appears to be somewhat like my rig (going by your sig line). You might pull about the same power as I do minus one GPU. Any recommendation for a UPS unit? How much higher should my UPS be rated for wattage than my workstation's power draw?
I have an older APC NS 1080 650w. It's been a reliable unit. Under gaming loads I'm pulling ~540w including monitor and the unit is maxed out with only 3 minutes of battery reserve. You're definitely gonna load up a 650watt unit let alone a 450watt.

Reactions: damage_jack

TRENDING THREADS