[SOLVED] PC would randomly crash the game I was playing and cut signal to monitors

Jul 24, 2020
I don't know where to post this but I am extremely desperate at this point.

Last night I was just playing Hunt: Showdown with a friend when my PC monitors suddenly went black and appeared with "NO SIGNAL". I could still hear him talking and he could hear me. I had to restart my PC by holding down the power button, but I didn't think much of it. Shortly after it happened again.

I wanted to check if it was the game causing this so I played F1 2020 instead. It worked for a long while before eventually doing the same. Except this time, the screens regained signal after about 30 seconds and the game came up with a crash message. I should have saved that report but in the moment I instinctively hit close. Oddly enough, the wheel controller I was using (Logitech G920) was still receiving consistent force-feedback despite the game being closed.

I figured I could just get the game to crash again to get the crash report, however, the monitors would not regain signal and I would be forced to shut the computer down.

After trying a few solutions (which didn't work), it got to a point where my PC wouldn't send any signal to my monitors when I turned it on. That was about an hour ago. After restarting it 3 times, it finally gave the monitors a signal and now I'm typing this. I've had this computer for over two years and it was working fine until last night. It doens't seem to crash without strain from a video game.

Here's my specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1080ti
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GB DDR4-3000
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (where the games are stored along with all system files)
PSU: EVGA 600B
Monitors: ASUS ROG PG278QR, ASUS VX279

Here's what I've tried:
Adjusting the fan speeds to keep CPU and GPU temps down, and monitored them before a crash to make sure they weren't overheating.
Underclocking my RAM to DDR4-2133MHz

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

Last edited:
Solution
A couple of things. Make sure your GPU is fully in the slot and the PCIe power cables to the gpu are in properly. Also the HDMI cable is in on both ends properly...apologies in advance as you know doubt have done that..

Run Cinebench R20 and check CPU temps at max load and also stress test GPU with something like Furmark to see whether the GPU is boosting properly and the temps are in the right area under max load.

Uninstall all GPU drivers with something like Display Driver uninstall as this will properly remove all your GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest GPU drivers..
A couple of things. Make sure your GPU is fully in the slot and the PCIe power cables to the gpu are in properly. Also the HDMI cable is in on both ends properly...apologies in advance as you know doubt have done that..

Run Cinebench R20 and check CPU temps at max load and also stress test GPU with something like Furmark to see whether the GPU is boosting properly and the temps are in the right area under max load.

Uninstall all GPU drivers with something like Display Driver uninstall as this will properly remove all your GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest GPU drivers..

Solution