Question PC wouldn't turn on until changing power outlet

Mar 7, 2019
So, I went to turn on my PC that was already supposed to be off and got no results. No LEDs lit up, no fans spinning, nothing. I tried flipping the on/off switch on the power supply back and forth and that did nothing. Ultimately what resolved my problem was that I unplugged the power supply's power cord from my surge protector and just plugged it into another outlet slot. I'm not even sure why that worked. I later tried plugging in a desk fan into the outlet slot to see if it would turn on, and it did.

I read somewhere on another forum that someone had this issue, but would happen randomly every several days or even weeks. What he said fixed it was to turn off fast startup for Windows 10 after someone recommended that to him. I already had that setting turned off. Should I be concerned at all? My only thought is some kind of issue with the power and reset switch plugs that go into the motherboard. I built this PC only nine months ago with completely brand new parts, but nothing's guaranteed to last as long as it should.

Please provide full pc spec including make and model of the psu.

Changing sockets completely removed power to the psu. A failing psu can sometimes work if unplugged and all components allowed to discharge before retrying. I'd say this all points to a failing psu.

Mar 7, 2019
Please provide full pc spec including make and model of the psu.

Changing sockets completely removed power to the psu. A failing psu can sometimes work if unplugged and all components allowed to discharge before retrying. I'd say this all points to a failing psu.
It's an EVGA B3 550W (bronze rating) PSU.

Other specs:
Motherboard: MSI Z370-A Pro
CPU: Intel i3-8100
RAM: 1x Ballistix Sport LT 8GB DDR4
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS