PC100 or PC133 memory on PC66 motherboard

G

I have an ASUS P2L97 motherboard, 66MHz bus, chipset 440LX.
It has 3 slots for SDRAM memory (3.3V, unbuffered, DIMM168). I would like to know if it is possible to use PC100 or PC133 memory on it without having any problems.

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
as iknow, pc133 will give system error on pc66mobo, pc100 could work. some sdrams are pc66/100 compatible. but will work as slowest compatible speed with other rams.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually you can-any board that can support the newer style dimms can-the LX chipset is compatable. Compatability problems with older chipsets were limmited to 1)inability to access the full amount of memory in high-capacity chips, 2)EDO dimms instead of SDRAM 3)Size limitations. As far as I know the LX exhibits neither of the first two problems and has a maximum of 128MB per slot, allowing you to use 128MB PC133 modules.

Suicide is painless...........

G

i have pc133 memory in an old asus board (p2b) that runs at 66 fsb. no problems. the pc133 was cheap so i bought it.

G

Assuming that both modules are compatible, if they're both the same price why not... if not, unless you plan on upgrading to a Coppermine, why pay the extra cash. It's not like you'll notice a diffrence only running the ram @ 66. Cause no matter which one you buy, ultimately, that ram is slowed down to 66.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First possibility, you might have ECC ram which cannot be mixed with non-parity
Second Possibility-Older Intel chips are unable to access large bit chips (4x and higher), resulting in an unread problem (32MB become 4MB, etc.)
Third Possiblity-Older Intel chipsets cannot access SDram above a certain size or size-per side (usually 32 or 64 MB).

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Crucial and Dell technicians say it's the dell pc66 mobo. I have non parity non ecc sdram. I have 440lx intel chipset. I have 128*3 dimm slots. I can run crucial 128mb pc66 ram on it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, and they didn't give you an explanation of what was different? I hate that, at least Intel was nice enough to say why certain ram would not work with some of their older chipsets.