PC100 PC133?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

I have Dell inspiron 4000 that came with 64bm of PC100 ram. I also have
two chips of 128 PC133 ram. How will using the PC133 affect the system?

"Nicholas" <calypson@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| I have Dell inspiron 4000 that came with 64bm of PC100 ram. I also have
| two chips of 128 PC133 ram. How will using the PC133 affect the system?

PC133 is typically backwards compatible with PC100, but there were some
issues with early PC133 RAM. It has been so long, I honestly can't remember
if it was a deal with running PC133 @ 100 and 66 or just 66MHz. I do know
some early PC133 sticks did have issues with running at only 66MHz though.
Of course there is always the off chance of running two different brands of
chips, particular if you are set to run memory per SPD information and the
two different chips have two different speed ratings in SPD.

On or about 7/18/2004 10:58 AM, it came to pass that Nicholas wrote:
> I have Dell inspiron 4000 that came with 64bm of PC100 ram. I also have
> two chips of 128 PC133 ram. How will using the PC133 affect the system?

Weird, I was just researching that question on Google and it seems it will work
almost all of the time. Also if you remove the PC100 memory and your MotherBoard
supports PC133 you should get the faster speed otherwise it will run an the
slower 100mhz speed.

I have an older Dell 7000 that I upgraded with a 600mhz mmc-2 (runs at 500mhz,
no speed step) and need more memory. I found PC133 128meg SODIMMs for $28 at
http://www.18004memory.com/ and wanted to be sure it would work.

Simply enter "mix pc100 pc133" into Google for all the links.

mike1

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

"Nicholas" <calypson@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| I have Dell inspiron 4000 that came with 64bm of PC100 ram. I also have
| two chips of 128 PC133 ram. How will using the PC133 affect the system?

One thing is for absolute certain: If you spend more than twenty minutes
of your life troubleshooting bad ram, it'll have been worth your time to
order the right stuff in the first place.

--
Reply to mike1@@@usfamily.net sans two @@, or your reply won't reach me.

Drug smugglers and gun-runners are heroes of American capitalism.
-- Jeffrey Quick

"arnb" <arnbRemoveThis@Arnb.org> wrote in message
| On or about 7/18/2004 10:58 AM, it came to pass that Nicholas wrote:
| > I have Dell inspiron 4000 that came with 64bm of PC100 ram. I also have
| > two chips of 128 PC133 ram. How will using the PC133 affect the system?
| >
| Weird, I was just researching that question on Google and it seems it will
work
| almost all of the time. Also if you remove the PC100 memory and your
MotherBoard
| supports PC133 you should get the faster speed otherwise it will run an
the
| slower 100mhz speed.
|
| I have an older Dell 7000 that I upgraded with a 600mhz mmc-2 (runs at
500mhz,
| no speed step) and need more memory. I found PC133 128meg SODIMMs for $28
at
| http://www.18004memory.com/ and wanted to be sure it would work.
|
| Simply enter "mix pc100 pc133" into Google for all the links.

Your research is correct. Not trying to sound cocky, but no need for me to
research the links. I am sure they are all right. Most of the time it will
work, except the rare aforementioned instances.

Sporkman

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2004

arnb wrote:
> Weird, I was just researching that question on Google and it seems it will work
> almost all of the time. Also if you remove the PC100 memory and your MotherBoard
> supports PC133 you should get the faster speed otherwise it will run an the
> slower 100mhz speed.

Well, uh, the system may perhaps run faster and still be stable if you
SET it to use the 133 MHz front side bus speed in the CMOS setup AND if
the CPU will stand the higher MHz setting, OR if the CPU isn't
multiplier locked and you can step the clock multiplier down so that the
CPU doesn't get unstable.

I think that's probably what you mean, but just clarifying for the sake
of those who might misconscrew your words.

'Sporky'