PC175 SDRAM

G

PC175, hmmmmnnn you can't really compare a stick of ram like this to DDR. it's totally different beast. there is no way DDR will lose. WHY, first of, you think you can get a board to go 175 FSB. not now. not even close. and say you did, the number will be around 2100 DDR number 133FSB. and you system have to be stable working around an insane 175 FSB. and when you bring out 166FSB chipset and higher you bet DDR is going to be right up there.

btw, i have two stick of OCZ PC150 128(7.5ns). great stick, THEY went all the way up 162MHZ CL2, memory bus ONLY (122/40mhz, PCI+CLK give you total of 162) so extra money for PC175, NO need!!!!

IF you are looking into buying or building a NEW SYSTEM. here is a link to TwinMOS PC166(6ns) review. should able to go 175CL2.

http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/twinmospc166/

G

There are no such things as PC150 or PC175

They all come from the timing in nanoseconds

Try this

7.5ns => 7.5e-9 then inverse then divide by 1e6 and you get 133.33Mhz hence PC133

the timing must always be in 0.5ns step

therefore 6.5ns get you 154Mhz hence should be PC154

6ns = 166Mhz

5.5ns = 182Mhz

Now I ask you guys, where did the 175 comes from?

Its a con, unless they says PC180

However I will believe PC150, because it can come from 6.5ns

I am not surprice so many people cannot count, especially those resellers and marketing people, marketing engineer did care.

It shows how bad this world is. :(

Best regards
cx5

G

It isn't that they can't count, they round it off. It is like 1000kb is equale to 1mb when it isn't, actually 1024kb.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I can't argue with your math. I guess, I never thought about it. However, the markings on memory chips are only certifications by the manufacturer, are they not? Chips ear-marked for say, 7.5 ns, might actually operate at faster speeds. Like many components, memory can be "overclocked". They can be operated at higher speeds than those for which they are certified.

Moving along, I too, frown on memory naming conventions. It appears that many vendors simply test memory to say, 150 mhz, and call that memory PC-150. However, PC-150 is not an industry standard such as PC-133. In this usage, PC-150 is not derived from a mathematical formula but simply states (and guarantees) the max speed for which <b>the vendor</b> claims the memory is suitable.

OCZ (OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM), as mentioned in another post, claims to have their memory manufactured to actually meet their own specifications and obtain the high speeds using individually picked and tested Micron and Infineon chips. They have (and guarantee) memory for 150, 160, and 175 mhz operation. If you check their site you will notice they do not call their memory PC-150, etc. They simply list speeds at which OCZ guarantees each particular memory.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 03/13/01 02:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Thanks for the info/math course. It never really occured to me, but it should have. So that L2 cache operating at 1ns or less could be the difference in overclocking ability. At that timing, I bet the slightest impurity in the PCB etching process would really screw things up.

TRENDING THREADS