PC2 6400 in a PC2 5300 slot?

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
898
0
19,060
What happens if I put laptop RAM DDR2 800 MHz PC2 6400 modules in DDR2 667 MHz PC2 5300 slots?

I ask this cause I checked my modules in my notebook, and they are 667mh, and I want to upgrade them. According to crucial, 800mhz will work on my notebook, but I havent found any info about this on official product pages. Im not sure my notebook support 800MHz

If any one cares to know, its a VAIO VGN-CR320E
 

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
2,346
0
19,960
99% chance the RAM works fine, just at the lower speed. 0.9% chance the RAM works at its full speed. 0.1% chance there is some incompatibility and the RAM doesn't work at all.

I'd recommend hitting google for a few minutes and see if anybody has tried this before and posted the results. Barring that, I'd go for it, you're not likely to have any problems.
 

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
1,019
0
19,310
Get Whatever Cost The Least And Fits In The Slot Properly Just Make Sure Its A Good Brand, Since 800 Is Usually The Same Price As Everything Else Thats Likely What You Will End Up With, Allthough Its Likely That Whatever Speed You Get You Wont Notice Any Differance In Performance.

If You Want To Go As Cheap As Possible Theres Nothing Wrong With Used RAM