Pcb advice - Pole Position, lights, voltage, wont boot

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I got my Pole Position up and running a couple weeks ago and it ran
beautifully for 3 days. It was running when I went upstairs and was dead
when I came back. It has a black screen, HV and the red led is lit on both
sides of the pcb. The pcb is not running, you cannot hear the game. I have
5v at all the test points. Thats all I know. I did a search and just found
"Atari - The Book, a guide to electronic game operation and servicing" that
I will be reading intently. Can someone offer me a heads up on what could be
the culprit?
Thanks
Rick

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Hit the test switch, see if you get the grid back.

melchman wrote:
> Hit the test switch, see if you get the grid back.

Check your fuses to with a meter, not just by looking at them to ensure
they aren't blown.

Next, can you coin up and play blind? Could be your monitor caved.

John

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

LEDs on the board, shouldn't be fuses. Monitor caved, Good Call. I
like that one.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I think the board is dead, I had the game on freeplay and I dont remember if
it played attract sounds but I know the monitor is ok. Turn up the screen
and waaaallla retrace lines. I cannot get a response on the test. The leds
are on and I get 5volts.
I am thinking about the pal3 at the audio processor...not sure..need to find
out why it wont boot.
Thanks

"Pepelepew" <pepelepew9@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I got my Pole Position up and running a couple weeks ago and it ran
> beautifully for 3 days. It was running when I went upstairs and was dead
> when I came back. It has a black screen, HV and the red led is lit on both
> sides of the pcb. The pcb is not running, you cannot hear the game. I have
> 5v at all the test points. Thats all I know. I did a search and just found
> "Atari - The Book, a guide to electronic game operation and servicing"
that
> I will be reading intently. Can someone offer me a heads up on what could
be
> the culprit?
> Thanks
> Rick

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

PP is one of the hardest games to keep running, I know first hand.
A friend has one and he is always having troubles, can't keep it running for
more than a couple days and off to repairing again.
I think you have a board problem, sounds too familiar.
Personally, I think this game is more trouble than it's worth.
My friend calls it "his $5000 PP".

Troy,

> I think the board is dead, I had the game on freeplay and I dont remember
if
> it played attract sounds but I know the monitor is ok. Turn up the screen
> and waaaallla retrace lines. I cannot get a response on the test. The leds
> are on and I get 5volts.
> I am thinking about the pal3 at the audio processor...not sure..need to
find
> out why it wont boot.
> Thanks
>

> "Pepelepew" <pepelepew9@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > I got my Pole Position up and running a couple weeks ago and it ran
> > beautifully for 3 days. It was running when I went upstairs and was dead
> > when I came back. It has a black screen, HV and the red led is lit on
both
> > sides of the pcb. The pcb is not running, you cannot hear the game. I
have
> > 5v at all the test points. Thats all I know. I did a search and just
found
> > "Atari - The Book, a guide to electronic game operation and servicing"
> that
> > I will be reading intently. Can someone offer me a heads up on what
could
> be
> > the culprit?
> > Thanks
> > Rick

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I have a Pole Position cockpit that does the same thing. Well, no game
play, won't coin up, nothing on monitor, no test, nothing. But, I do
get the PCB lights to work and I have 5v. I have placed this board in
a couple upright PP's and it worked perfect with the same PCB lights
lit. I have replaced the 2 power supplies in the cabinet with other
known working ones, still the same thing. I got this board from
Eldorado Games and tried all of this within a couple days of receiving
it. I gave up on it a couple months ago, more important games to work
on.
So don't assume the board is dead.
-Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Do you know if a Pole Position upright harness will work in a Pole
Position cockpit game? I have 3 extra upright ones and no extra for a
cockpit.
Thanks.
-Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Cockpit has a brake and four speakers ( and the volume controls to
support them), Upright has gas only and 2 speakers. If you plan to add
the extra wire for these extra components I suppose you have most of a
harness.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

sounds like a bad harness pin connection then to me!!!

if you know you have to good power supplies and a good pcb then it is this
in the cab.
the only thing left is the harness i assume!

"mudmantim" <mudmantim@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I have a Pole Position cockpit that does the same thing. Well, no game
> play, won't coin up, nothing on monitor, no test, nothing. But, I do
> get the PCB lights to work and I have 5v. I have placed this board in
> a couple upright PP's and it worked perfect with the same PCB lights
> lit. I have replaced the 2 power supplies in the cabinet with other
> known working ones, still the same thing. I got this board from
> Eldorado Games and tried all of this within a couple days of receiving
> it. I gave up on it a couple months ago, more important games to work
> on.
> So don't assume the board is dead.
> -Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I hear many complaints about Pole Position being difficult to run. I
have two now (until someone buys my upright) and I am having no more
trouble from them than any other game.

I did take the care to remove the old batteries and keep the fans
running. I do notice a lack of fans in Pole Position machines. I
don't know if they were too loud or what causes owners to remove or
disable them.

The old Fuse block and the AR-II boards give me the most trouble.
Again, no more than my Centipede, Dig Dug or Asteroids machines. The
only Pole Position specific problem I can recall is the voice samples.
I did have to send a board back to El Dorado a second time because
Sound 19 was not working. It was within 30 days and no big deal.

I had to replace the shifter collar because a friend was slamming the
shifter pretty hard and cracked the collar. He eventually sobered up,
apologized and paid for the replacement control panel on eBay.

I lost a steering opto board, but I had similar problems with a
Centipede and a Millipede.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

That sounds like a lot of hassel to wire in stuff. I will just let it
sit.
No problem with my house Pole Position upright, we got that one (not
working), exchanged a board with Eldorado and it works perfect. We
even had it plugged in and turned on for months and months without a
problem.

Let us know what you find out Rick, that way I can maybe get my cockpit
running.
Thanks.
-Tim

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Fan?
What fan?
The only fan I seen was my daughter cheering me on, my wife gave up a long
time ago.
I'll have to look into that and check the harness too.
Thanks guys
Rick