[SOLVED] PCB broken

Jul 25, 2021
Hello,

I have a broken PCB on my WD-hard drive.
By just replacing the PCB the hard drive spins up, but isn't recognized in windows. So, the Bios from the broken board should be placed on a donor board to get it working again.
I searched for a company (in the Netherlands) to replace the BIOS. They told me they could do it, but the other day they called me to tell that one of the legs of the bios was broken off of the chip.

Now, I just took the risk to connect the drive to my pc with the donor board without the original bios.
When I go to disk management I can see the drive, but it says: Not initialized.
I want to know: if I initialize the drive, will my data on it be lost?
or, can you get the data back after initializing with some kind of software tool?

Maybe there are people here in the the forum from the Netherlands that have experience with a company who might try to fix the broken bios?

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Solution
Now, I just took the risk to connect the drive to my pc with the donor board without the original bios.
or, can you get the data back after initializing with some kind of software tool?

Technically, your data are still there, but the computer can't read the HDD because the info provided by the donor Bios is incorrect. Your computer will need the data stored in the old Bios to work with the HDD.

Technically, your data are still there, but the computer can't read the HDD because the info provided by the donor Bios is incorrect. Your computer will need the data stored in the old Bios to work with the HDD.

Solution
Jul 25, 2021
There are two possible approaches.
1/ Fix the chip by adding a wire to the broken pin.
We will try this next wednesday. Then I am also to send a picture of the broken pin, made via the microscope.

2/ Rebuild the ROM contents with special software tools. This is possible for all but a few WD models.
Ah, this also sounds very interesting. The model is a WD40EFRX.
I will start to look for this software.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Hello,

I have a broken PCB on my WD-hard drive.
By just replacing the PCB the hard drive spins up, but isn't recognized in windows. So, the Bios from the broken board should be placed on a donor board to get it working again.
I searched for a company (in the Netherlands) to replace the BIOS. They told me they could do it, but the other day they called me to tell that one of the legs of the bios was broken off of the chip.

Maybe there are people here in the the forum from the Netherlands that have experience with a company who might try to fix the broken bios?

Regards, Peter

The reason why your disk appears as unitialized because even when swapping same revision pcb, with same firmware there is one vital component that still missing. Each modern HDD is to an extent physically unique, and each PCB contains a flash chip in which calibration data unique to each drive is stored. Unless you swap ( or clone, if you have flash programmer) the donor pcb will never work correctly in the old drive.

to give you an idea what's involved:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFpSWF7MWEc

TRENDING THREADS