[SOLVED] PCB Swap

Oct 14, 2021
Hello,

I have a question regarding a board swap. The original board is fried and the hard drive will obviously not spin up. This leads me to believe that the data is a-okay. However, I am unable to find the Bios chip and I believe it’s been integrated into the IC. I have posted a photo of the fried one for reference and the replacement board that is being shipped in. I am doing this for a Veteran friend of mine as he has some pictures from his Tours in Iraq. I hope the links below works as this is my very first post on tom's Hardware and I am getting an error when I try to use the Picture icon and copy in the link from imgur.com.

Will this work without needing to swap or solder any components?

Solution
Actually, this drive came out of an external housing. He bought it back in 2007 and its only a 500 GB Drive. When I pulled it out of the external housing I plugged it into my Sabrent HDD cloner and the Drive would not power on. The Sabrent power LED light would shut off the minute I plugged it in.
I suspect that the enclosure may have been subjected to an overvoltage from the wrong power adapter. Typically this causes the 12V TVS diode to go short circuit. Check both diodes in any case (D3 and D4). The solution may be as simple as removing the shorted diode with flush cutters. However, be careful not to subject the drive to a second overvoltage, as it will no longer be protected from such events.
Oct 14, 2021
Check the TVS diodes. There may be a zero cost DIY solution.

TVS Diode FAQ:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=86

Did the drive shut down your power supply?

Actually, this drive came out of an external housing. He bought it back in 2007 and its only a 500 GB Drive. When I pulled it out of the external housing I plugged it into my Sabrent HDD cloner and the Drive would not power on. The Sabrent power LED light would shut off the minute I plugged it in.

I suspect that the enclosure may have been subjected to an overvoltage from the wrong power adapter. Typically this causes the 12V TVS diode to go short circuit. Check both diodes in any case (D3 and D4). The solution may be as simple as removing the shorted diode with flush cutters. However, be careful not to subject the drive to a second overvoltage, as it will no longer be protected from such events.

Solution