Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Hi I was playing hitman 3 on my PC, Then it suddenly turned off. I tried rebooting it but it doesn't post anymore. What could be the problem?

Last month when I did my regular cleaning on my pc, I noticed that the power supply fan isn't spinning anymore, I tried running Valley Benchmark plus Prime 95 stress test to see if it will have any problems. My pc worked fine (without the fan spinning) until today. It suddenly turned off and it doesnt post anymore but the motherboard has still lights on it (the green one) but when I press the power button it doesnt turn on (no fans are moving at all)

When I opened my Pc, I noticed that the powersupply is quite hot.

I tried troubleshooting to identify if either the graphics card is the problem so I removed it, still no post. But motherboard has green lights.

I think it is very unlikely to be a processor overheating issue since I am using an AIO Watercooler and my temps are only at around 60c when gaming. Sometimes my gpu is hitting 80c but only on rare occassions but then again, i removed my graphics card and still no post.

I also tried removing one of my RAM to see if it is a ram issue but still no post. I also tried removing or unplugging all my storage devices and tried re using my stock cooler, still no post.

Im trying to identify whether it is a powersupply Issue or a CMOS battery issue even or a RAM issue, I have no way to test because I lack the extra parts I also dont know how to jump start a pc since im afraid i might mess something up.

Im thinking of going to our nearest stores to buy a new power supply since it is most likely the problem but im afraid to spend just to find out that the powersuoply isnt the problem.

I also dont know if there are any shops near me that repairs Pcs to check on my pc.
I really need suggestions. Thanks

PC SPECS
GTX 1060 3GB
I5 4570S
ID COOLING AURAFLOW SINGLE RADIATOR 120MM
Huntkey greenpower 500w
Motherboard ASUS H81 M D
PC AGE: about 6 years

This thread may help:

PSU is trash, even if it isn't the issue it needs to be replaced. But good chance it is the issue.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
This thread may help:

PSU is trash, even if it isn't the issue it needs to be replaced. But good chance it is the issue.

thankyou, i am well aware of that as i was the one who posted the thread long ago. it seems to have finally failed.

my only doubt is that if it failed, why would be the light on my motherboard be on? or does that mean thst the light on my motherboard doesnt indicate if the powersupply is dead

thankyou, i am well aware of that as i was the one who posted the thread long ago. it seems to have finally failed.

my only doubt is that if it failed, why would be the light on my motherboard be on? or does that mean thst the light on my motherboard doesnt indicate if the powersupply is dead
You can have a bad power supply that won't let you boot and still have lights on...on the MB.

Reactions: Alberto Bj

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
And, check with the people here before buying a new one, link us up to one you might be considering and we'll give you an answer as to whether it's worth getting.
im thinkimg of buying the seasonic s12 620 but im not sure if it is avialable in the store near me. they are only svailable through online shopping.

I saw an fsp hydro K but i dont know if its good but its one of the available ones in my store. the other ones doesnt look promising and they dont have a wide variety of powersupply brands ( been looking for corsair cx's or evga's but they dont seem to have those)

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Yeah, it's already failed in one way. You can easily test the memory and buy a new BIOS battery. if they check out, then you know what time it is.
sadly, i dont know where to buy some bios batteries here and i also dont know how to replace them.

my question is, will a pc still boot or post without a ram seated or a bios battery inserted? if it can, then maybe it really is the powersupply ( im sorry for the question but theres no other way for me to figure this out)
i dont hsve a lot of options since i dont know where to look for a cmos battery near my location

in regards to ram, i wanna know too if a pc will have lights on it / will the fans spin at all if there is no ram? cause my pc doesnt really boot/ power up at all. the only light i see is the green light from the motherboard, when i press the power button nothing literally happens, no beeps and the fans and case fans doesnt move even an inch

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
And, check with the people here before buying a new one, link us up to one you might be considering and we'll give you an answer as to whether it's worth getting.

the ones that i saw thst were available in my store were
silverstone strider st50f-es230
fsp hydro k 600w and 500w
fsp hyper k 600w

the other ones like seasonic s12s are only available through online shopping / delivery

im thinkimg of buying the seasonic s12 620 but im not sure if it is avialable in the store near me. they are only svailable through online shopping.

I saw an fsp hydro K but i dont know if its good but its one of the available ones in my store. the other ones doesnt look promising and they dont have a wide variety of powersupply brands ( been looking for corsair cx's or evga's but they dont seem to have those)

That's one of Seasonic's turds, what else can you get?

sadly, i dont know where to buy some bios batteries here and i also dont know how to replace them.

my question is, will a pc still boot or post without a ram seated or a bios battery inserted? if it can, then maybe it really is the powersupply ( im sorry for the question but theres no other way for me to figure this out)
i dont hsve a lot of options since i dont know where to look for a cmos battery near my location

in regards to ram, i wanna know too if a pc will have lights on it / will the fans spin at all if there is no ram? cause my pc doesnt really boot/ power up at all. the only light i see is the green light from the motherboard, when i press the power button nothing literally happens, no beeps and the fans and case fans doesnt move even an inch

It won't boot up without memory but it should beep to indicate a memory error..

I live in the Philipines, the online shops that are available are lazada and shopee

im thinking abt the FSP one, they should be better than huntkey though?

Unlike the Huntkey, the FSP will likely not explode. But you can maybe get better than that for not too much more money.

Tagging @Juular @--SID-- and @jonnyguru for their opinions on this one:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.70.26217ccdSUvDgA&search=1

Because Superflower generally tends to make good units, but I've never heard of this one. However the 3 posters I've tagged may know more on this unit, their input would be very useful to you here.

Unlike the Huntkey, the FSP will likely not explode. But you can maybe get better than that for not too much more money.

Tagging @Juular @--SID-- and @jonnyguru for their opinions on this one:

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...4l.searchlist.list.70.26217ccdSUvDgA&search=1

Because Superflower generally tends to make good units, but I've never heard of this one. However the 3 posters I've tagged may know more on this unit, their input would be very useful to you here.
Is not worth it when there's a much better MSI AGF https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...hlistcategory.list.44.681320c5sYwwt1&search=1 for a only 10% higher price.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Which is why I tagged you, nice one Sid.

thankyou for all your consideration. will consider those.

I'm currently in a tight budget right now. I'm actually going to bring my pc to a local store shop to see if they can test it out before I buy. I'm also gonna try to contact them to ask for the list of the power supplies they got (I think the ones that are listed on their website aren't accurate)

In regards with online shopping, I really need a replacement today because I have online classes and I don't think I can wait for deliveries. I hope I find some good brands in the store.

Alberto Bj

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2015
Superflower do have some duffers too and with the price of this one, it's either one of those or a great bargain.
Just to update, I was able to get a list of available powersupplies that are currently in stock

THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 650W POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 550W RGB EFFICIENCY POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE LITEPOWER 650W RGB EFFICIENCY POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE SMART RGB 600W 80+ NON-MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
THERMALTAKE SMART RGB 700W 80+ NON-MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
COOLER MASTER MWE 550W (MPE-5501-ACABW-US) 80+ WHITE POWER SUPPLY
SILVERSTONE VIVA 650W 80+ GOLD (SST-VA650-G) NON-MODULAR TRUE-RATED POWER SUPPLY

are any of these good at all