Question Pccooler 120mm Fan Moonlight Series

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I could not find these and and their instructions in English on the web. So I'll comment based on their description. Each fan in this set is basically two devices in one unit. It has a fan motor etc. with a cable that ends on a female connector about ½" wide with 4 holes, and two ridges running down one side. This is a 4-pin PWM fan connection, and it goes to a mobo standard fan header. Secondly there are LED lights mounted in the fan frame, so these have a separate cable ending in a wider female connector that looks like it should have 4 holes, but one hole is plugged. That is because these are ADDRESSABLE RGB lights (aka ADDR RGB or ARGB), not the plain RGB. Plain RGB uses 4 pins that provide a common +12 VDC supply line and three separate Ground lines for the three LED colours. YOUR system of ADDR RGB lights uses +5 VDC and Ground power lines (NOTE that voltage difference), and a single digital Control Line. The two systems are NOT compatible, so to connect your lights to a mobo, your mobo MUST have the right RGB header type. And no, the SOFTWARE tool (like ASUS Aura Sync or MSI Mystic Light, etc) does NOT tell you that. It's the HARDWARE header type that is important. The male mobo header (IF you have an RGB header at all) will have either 4 pins (plain RGB NOT the same as your lights) or 3 pins (looks like 4 pins missing one) that IS what your lights need.

IF your mobo has a 3-pin ADDR RGB header, you can use that to power and control the lights in your fans. The fan set comes with an RGB Splitter cable you can use to connect all three fans' RGB cables together to a single mobo 3-pin ADDR RGB header. Then you install and use the lighting application software that comes on your mobo's CD of utilities to control the lights.

IF you mobo does NOT have that type or ADDR RGB header, you can use instead the small Controller box that comes with the fan set. You probably use that same Splitter cable to connect the three fans' RGB cables together, and then plug into the end of that the little RGB controller box with three buttons. Those buttons become your way of MANUALLY controlling the lights.

10pmstalker

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm on a TUF Gaming X570-Plus so it should all work without using the molex power. Going off your guide, I'll figure out where headers are in the manual. Thank you. Do you have this fan set or is it just pretty common for most RGB fans?