[SOLVED] PCE-i Extension cable for EPS 12v extension

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
For those more knowledgeable then myself: Is it safe to use a PCI-e cable to extend my EPS CPU cable?

For a bit of back ground, when I rebuilt my system over Christmas I used a set of sleeved EVGA cables for the cabling and the issue I ran into was that my EPS cable for my CPU was to short to route through the back of the case, so I had to route it around in front of my GPU and mother board.

I was looking on Cable Mods website as they provide cable extensions in white (to match my cables) but they don't provide stand alone EPS cables, but do provide stand alone PCI-e cables extensions. They do however include EPS extensions in full kits they sell, which would provide an additional full set and let me have spare extensions for my other cables on hand.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
The PCIe extensions are keyed, and won't fit an EPS connector on the board.

What cable kit did you buy? If you're still using the 500R, I'm shocked there's not enough length on any decent cable kit to route back there.

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
The PCIe extensions are keyed, and won't fit an EPS connector on the board.

What cable kit did you buy? If you're still using the 500R, I'm shocked there's not enough length on any decent cable kit to route back there.

The kit I'm using is the EVGA Kit for their GS 550/650 PSU's: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-CW-0650-B9

Admittedly, the EPS cable seems kind of short in the kit at only 500mm, and when routed around back the cable maybe only runs 2/3 of the distance, leaving me needing maybe around 10 to 11 inches to connect comfortably. (no harsh bends, no undue pressure on the socket, etc).

I wasn't aware the PCI-e cables were keyed. If that's the case, the best option would probably be the full kit and use what I need.

Thanks for your help.