pchealth what the hells going on

i use ad-watch and recently its been showing a registery modificatin message
of which the basic line is
data:c:\windows\pchealth\elpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe\auto
i think i know what pchealth is but what is it doing and more
importanly why and should i be worried....help!!
--
niall

C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries is where msconfig.exe lives.

Did you disable anything using msconfig? msconfig.exe is the System
Configuration Utility.

If you did, that is the start entry for the message...

[[You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows
starts.
The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective
Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run
every time Windows starts.
Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally
and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.]]

If you change any startup setting by using System Configuration Utility,
that message appears every time you boot unless you click ignore or put
msconfig back to Normal Startup.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DF04E339-542C-4052-8BBD-B289F610F815@microsoft.com,
oisin <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> i use ad-watch and recently its been showing a registery modificatin
> message of which the basic line is
> data:c:\windows\pchealth\elpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe\auto
> i think i know what pchealth is but what is it doing and more
> importanly why and should i be worried....help!!
> --
> niall

As Wesley said. In addition:

Whenever you use MSConfig to alter the startup/services and click OK, it
adds an entry "...msconfig.exe /auto" in the startup, which starts nothing
but the so called "Selective Startup reminder".

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"oisin" <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i use ad-watch and recently its been showing a registery modificatin
>message
> of which the basic line is
> data:c:\windows\pchealth\elpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe\auto
> i think i know what pchealth is but what is it doing and more
> importanly why and should i be worried....help!!
> --
> niall

Hi Ramesh,

I just opened msconfig and unchecked one startup item and rebooted.

The message...
[[You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows
starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or
Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility
to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the
General tab to start Windows normally]]

and msconfig starts from...

MSConfig
REG_SZ
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto

The auto switch is the deal.

!@#$@#%$@#$ Comcast! Intermitant service.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:O%23fI2UlPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> As Wesley said. In addition:
>
> Whenever you use MSConfig to alter the startup/services and click OK, it
> adds an entry "...msconfig.exe /auto" in the startup, which starts nothing
> but the so called "Selective Startup reminder".
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "oisin" <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> i use ad-watch and recently its been showing a registery modificatin
>> message
>> of which the basic line is
>> data:c:\windows\pchealth\elpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe\auto
>> i think i know what pchealth is but what is it doing and more
>> importanly why and should i be worried....help!!
>> --
>> niall

Well explained, Wes.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> I just opened msconfig and unchecked one startup item and rebooted.
>
> The message...
> [[You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows
> starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or
> Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the
> utility
> to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the
> General tab to start Windows normally]]
>
> and msconfig starts from...
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> MSConfig
> REG_SZ
> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
>
> The auto switch is the deal.
>
> !@#$@#%$@#$ Comcast! Intermitant service.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:O%23fI2UlPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> As Wesley said. In addition:
>>
>> Whenever you use MSConfig to alter the startup/services and click OK, it
>> adds an entry "...msconfig.exe /auto" in the startup, which starts
>> nothing
>> but the so called "Selective Startup reminder".
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "oisin" <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> i use ad-watch and recently its been showing a registery modificatin
>>> message
>>> of which the basic line is
>>> data:c:\windows\pchealth\elpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe\auto
>>> i think i know what pchealth is but what is it doing and more
>>> importanly why and should i be worried....help!!
>>> --
>>> niall

The Comcast part, Ramesh? <LOL>

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:umpjTgVQFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Well explained, Wes.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>> Hi Ramesh,
>>
>> I just opened msconfig and unchecked one startup item and rebooted.
>>
>> The message...
>> [[You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way
>> Windows starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in
>> Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be
>> displayed and the utility
>> to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the
>> General tab to start Windows normally]]
>>
>> and msconfig starts from...
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>> MSConfig
>> REG_SZ
>> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
>>
>> The auto switch is the deal.
>>
>> !@#$@#%$@#$ Comcast! Intermitant service.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:O%23fI2UlPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> As Wesley said. In addition:
>>>
>>> Whenever you use MSConfig to alter the startup/services and click OK, it
>>> adds an entry "...msconfig.exe /auto" in the startup, which starts
>>> nothing
>>> but the so called "Selective Startup reminder".
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "oisin" <oisin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

LOL!

The msconfig part.

>> !@#$@#%$@#$

Oops! Perhaps this is ROT13 encrypted (you were talking about it last week,
Wes) ;-)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> The Comcast part, Ramesh? <LOL>
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:umpjTgVQFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Well explained, Wes.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>>> Hi Ramesh,
>>>
>>> I just opened msconfig and unchecked one startup item and rebooted.
>>>
>>> The message...
>>> [[You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way
>>> Windows starts. The System Configuration Utility is currently in
>>> Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be
>>> displayed and the utility
>>> to run every time Windows starts. Choose the Normal Startup mode on the
>>> General tab to start Windows normally]]
>>>
>>> and msconfig starts from...
>>>
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>>> MSConfig
>>> REG_SZ
>>> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
>>>
>>> The auto switch is the deal.
>>>
>>> !@#$@#%$@#$ Comcast! Intermitant service.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:O%23fI2UlPFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

<LOL>

Yes. Encrypted or censored, I get them mixed up, Ramesh. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:elbg0PWQFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,

:) :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> <LOL>
>
> Yes. Encrypted or censored, I get them mixed up, Ramesh. ;-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:elbg0PWQFHA.248@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> LOL!
>>
>> The msconfig part.

>> Oops! Perhaps this is ROT13 encrypted (you were talking about it last
>> week, Wes) ;-)
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User