andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi,just a quick question,i was looking at some reviews of MB`s with PCI 3.0 and someone had made a comment that PCI 3.0 will not be utilized until the Ivy Bridge CPU comes out,i was just wondering if this is true,if so i am delaying my upgrade.
Many thanks.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Yes it is true, ivy-bridge will be capable of getting PCIe 3.0 usable. Although, the difference from PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 with current cards is really not noticeable.

But if you already have a nice CPU working for you now, I would wait to upgrade. If you are patient enough, you may want to wait for Haswell. (2013ish)

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Man,cant keep up with all these new releases lol. You say that with current cards there is not much difference,but would a 7xxx series which is PCI 3.0 run better once the Ivy Bridge comes out?

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Yes it would run better, but would it be worth upgrading your i5 2500k that is fully functional to an ivy-bridge for 3.0? No.

There will be a difference, since PCIe 3.0 will be faster. But PCIe 2.0 will suffice for a long while. The only way 3.0 will come in use is when cards in production become so fast 2.0 can't keep up.

Much like PCI and PCIe. PCI had to go because it couldn't keep up with the faster cards out there.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Ok,so do you think that there is still some years left for PCIe 2.0 even with the the new cards like the 7xxx and the new 6xx and beyond?

Blakexeal

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Excellent post. I was curious as to how my future 7970 would work if the ivy bridge wasn't even out yet. But the way you put it makes me think all of 2.0's bandwidth hasn't been used to it's full potential with any of the current gpus.

The current gen PCI-E 3.0 cards still cannot fully saturate the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0.Really the only gain of having a 3.0 slot would be with a dual GPU card such as the 7990.Probably the next gen of GPU will completely saturate 2.0 which will then warrant a 3.0 slot but that won't be for another year or 2.Another gain that might be considered about having a 3.0 slot is that you can run 2.0 GPU's in a x4 slot with no performance impact.

I've been reading around and rumor has it that AMD's new motherboards(the 10xx series chipsets) still aren't going to have PCI-E 3.0 slots.They must feel that it still isn't needed yet.

rocknrollz

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Ok,so do you think that there is still some years left for PCIe 2.0 even with the the new cards like the 7xxx and the new 6xx and beyond?

Of course, PCIe x16 is still in use. 2.0 should last for at least 2-3 years

Right now the 7970 is just on the verge of being bottlenecked by the PCI-E 2.0 slots but their is still a little headroom.My guess is that the next gen of card(8xxx series and GTX 7xx series) will fully saturate the 2.0 slots and will need a 3.0 slot.But if the GTX680 is anything like Nvidia did with the GTX580 you might see it being choked a bit in a 2.0 slot.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Ok,not so far off then.Do you know what the differences are going to be between the two chip sets. I do believe that the Z68 chip set boards are going to be compatible with Ivy Bridge cpu`s. Just to add one more thing,i know its not graphic based but saves starting another thread,i was reading some other posts and someone mentioned overclocking a core i5 2500k and said that there ram would have to be 1.5v,now i am new to overclocking,why is this.? The ram i am looking at getting is 1.45-1.55v,would this be ok to overclock a i5 2550.

Yes I believe all of the 1155 boards are compatible with Ivy Bridge.On the Z68 vs the Z77 it's not a huge difference at all in a performance sense.It's more of just an update.Just adding native USB 3.0 support and of course PCI-E 3.0 but that can already be found on Z68 boards.And I believe they just made further improvements on the Intel Smart Response technology.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4830/intels-ivy-bridge-architecture-exposed

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Ok,thanks for the info about the Ram but not sure what Thunderbolt is,if its anything to do with a Intel board then i know very little tbh,i have not had intel for some years but this up and coming upgrade will be Intel tho. The Bulldozer seems to have been somewhat of a fail from what i read so going to give Intel a go.
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread,its been a big help.
Cheers.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Oh ok,thats a neat little feature,i guess Thunderbolt is going to be on the Z77 boards and not on the Z68 boards. Sorry to ask another question but apart from less power consumption and PCI 3.0 is there going to be a significant difference between SB and IB because i am having quite a few PC problems and kind of want to get my upgrade up and running,is the difference worth waiting for.
Cheers.

Thunderbolt is a connection like usb. Usb 3 is 5Gb/s, thunderbolt is 10Gb/s. Currently it's only on mac but ib is when it starts coming to pc. Intel did make it so they are pushing it a bit and I would understand not many people know about it as it is pretty new. As with other ports, there will be expansion cards to add it to a pc without it so it's not a big deal. IDK what purple stank is confusing it with. But using usb with the pc off can work on many computers today. My z68 I have now supports that.
cq5dam.webintel.288.144.jpg

Most of the differences are common benefit of newer cpus. IB is supposed to be 10-20% better performance than SB as with any tick or tock. (That just means any new cpu release really: die shrink or new microarchitecture) For games you won't notice a difference. SB is plenty powerful but IB is going to cost the same so a bit extra cpu power doesn't hurt.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Interesting,if its going to be around the same price point then it may be worth delaying my upgrade,i do believe that the IB is out some time in April,cant be 100% sure tho,guess we will just have to wait and see.
Tom`s is worth its weight in gold,many thanks for the reply.
Cheers

khoaaa

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I am on the same boat, waiting for the Ivy bridge CPU and the HD 7870. All PCIe 3.0 system.
Deciding if i should buy a cheap CPU to use while waiting. Like the Intel G530.