[SOLVED] PCI 4.0 SSD speeds vs Ram - will ram be needed any more ?

Nov 22, 2019
This is more of a theoretical post. My understanding of how Ram is used by the system is fairly limited but I've been wondering recently.

With the PlayStation 5 having SSD read/write speeds of 5gb per second, and the cheif designer saying that by the end of the year PC SSD components will be double this e.g. 10gb per second transfer, will this make RAM obsolete ?

DDR5 is beign talked about going upto 5000mhz; isnt this only the same speed as the PS5 SSD i.e. half where SSD 's will be at the end of the year?

Will RAM in the traditional sense be needed in the future ? Surely there is no point when the SSD can out perform in terms of speed ?

Discuss.

Solution
PCIe4 is still a long way off from even approaching DDR4 RAM speeds. Honestly due to how they each function and store data RAM will always be faster and needed.

Take anything anyone says in regards to Consoles or even PC components with a table spoon of salt, they like to over hype.
PCIe4 is still a long way off from even approaching DDR4 RAM speeds. Honestly due to how they each function and store data RAM will always be faster and needed.

Take anything anyone says in regards to Consoles or even PC components with a table spoon of salt, they like to over hype.

Solution