Question PCI Bus Driver missing, no Drivers for download?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
It doesn't seem to be effecting anything but I have a caution logo with description on this in device management.

New build, using an MSI z690 Carbon MOBO with intel core i7 13700

Lisnted under "Base System Device" the error says

"PCI Bus 0, Device 8, Function 0"

The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device

To find a driver, click update driver.

Clicking update results in no findings for a driver.

Tried searching msi page as well no driver I see that matches "PCI Bus"

That's all part of the chipset drivers available from either the MB manufacturer or Intel
Not anymore, not in every case. On Z690 some boards have separated the chipset drivers from some of the HID device drivers and the Serial I/O drivers as well as a few other things. I'd assume that likely we will find the same for Z790 on some boards when we get to looking at that soon.

I recently had a similar problem even after installing the latest chipset drivers and had to go back and figured out that there were additional specific drivers that had to be installed in addition to the chipset drivers, but LISTED under the same category as the chipset drivers, on a Z690 board. I've even recently seen cases where there was a "remarked" device in device manager when Intel management engine driver wasn't installed, and Windows update not finding it.

Last edited:

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018

Thanks.

I installed them all except "Intel Lan Driver" When I install it it says [ERROR ID = 103]

It doesn't seem to be effecting anything but I have a caution logo with description on this in device management.

New build, using an MSI z690 Carbon MOBO with intel core i7 13700

Lisnted under "Base System Device" the error says

"PCI Bus 0, Device 8, Function 0"

The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)

There are no compatible drivers for this device

To find a driver, click update driver.

Clicking update results in no findings for a driver.

Tried searching msi page as well no driver I see that matches "PCI Bus"

You need to get the HWID of the device to find out which kind of device it is and the drivers to hunt down for it, otherwise you are just guessing randomly and hoping something somewhere fixes it.

Open Device Manager, search for it if need be. Find the device that has the exclamation mark next to it, right click properties. Navigate to the details tab then from the drop down choose "Hardware IDs". That should give you a list of stuff that looks like "PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0C01&SUBSYS_65551558&REV_06". You can then google that device ID to see what it comes back as and get the appropriate driver.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
That's true, and not to be contrary at all, but generally speaking ALL of the relevant manufacturer device drivers should be installed anyhow after or while setting up a new Windows installation, and will probably take less time than trying to track down and resolve the issue based on the hardware id string, unless of course you are still seeing the problem AFTER installing all of the relevant drivers.

Relying on the Microsoft supplied drivers is problematic more often than not, so making sure the drivers your board manufacturer says are the correct ones, especially on more modern systems, is basically always a really good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.