Question PCI Bus & PCI Root Complex disconnections?

Jan 15, 2021
Hello,

Important edit: I originally wrote "PCI Root Kit" but if I recall correctly it was "PCI Root Complex", however since this is all from memory it is quite hard to know for certain.

I built my own PC for the first time about a year ago. Seemingly everything had been going fine until now.

While playing a game my monitor started going black and then back again, with the USB disconnection and connections sounds playing. I restarted my computer since I was unable to wrangle it out of this loop. When it booted up again, Windows (10) told me that that my computer needed to be restarted for my PCI Bus to configuration to complete (or something to that effect). So I restarted, yet the message persisted. Then I decided to take a wild stab in the dark and install some Windows Updates. After that the problem seemed to have gone away. However, after a few more restarts it flicked to black at the log in screen again, but only once (my headphones were not on me so I am not sure if it did those USB connection & disconnection sounds). When I logged in it told me a hardware change had been detected and that I needed to restart my computer for my PCI Root Complex to be configured (or something to that effect). I restarted my computer at this and nothing more came up. It has now gone a few hours and no new errors have been detected by me. Curiously, my AMD software changed to another version after one of the errors (I think it was at that time, but events happened so quickly it is hard to know). It had refused to update for a year, but now it decided to change itself in-between reboots. It did not tell me about this, I only noticed it since the AMD Software logo looked so different all of a sudden.

I managed to go in to my logbook and drivers. There I saw that there were that the Pci Bus drivers had been reinstalled twice in the last hour, seperated by around 40 minutes. Though I only experienced the crash once, which I correlate with the first cluster. In the logbook there are also 569 Kernel-PnP warnings in the last hours, they are clustered around both reinstalls, seemingly the second these reinstalls are finished.

I should mention that I am not very knowledgeable at all about software or hardware. I am however highly frightened that my PC is falling apart at its seams and that this is the first symptom. Any help to explain the phenomena and its potential consequences would be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
The reason I write "(or something to that effect)" is because I do not remember the exact formulation, and I am not sure how to retroactively find these messages after several reboots.

My apologies for forgetting specs, they are, I have translated them from Swedish so maybe some technical translations are wrong but I hope context is enough:

Computertype: x64-based PC.

BIOS version and date: American Megatrends Inc. 4608, 2013-12-24

SMBIOS-version: 2.7

Version of imbedded controlunit: 255.255

BIOS-mode: UEFI

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79, version: Rev 1.xx

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz

GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series

SSD: Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

RAM: 32 GB DDR3

I hope those specs are enough, please tell if there is something specific I missed. I could not simply copy-paste since it is all in Swedish and I did not find all relevant things in one place, but then again I am not particularly knowledgeable about this.

Jan 15, 2021
I found something curious in the reliability monitor: the minute the crash occured Windows Update installed an update from AMD. Then it uninstalled two instances of AMD settings and one instance of AMD WVR64, to then reinstalled all these three again directly after. It also caused the critical event of that the AMD External Events Client Module stopped working. During this I was playing a video game completely unaware of the installation going on.

Is it fair to assume that the whole crash was caused by a rather rough updating-process from AMD instead of my actual hardware falling apart? Let me reiterate that my AMD Software had been refusing to update for over a year. Perhaps this was metaphorically my GPU drivers getting "unclogged"?

Last edited: