PCI Bus with a Raid Controller and video editing

jonhimes

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
PCI bus w/ Raid and Pinnical Pro One

I am Currenty building a New Computer Video editing Work Station. The Computer will be based off of an ASUS motherboard,P4C800 Deluxe, with 1GB ram and an ATI Radeon 4600PRO using AGP. The Problem I am having is I would like to put in a Pinnical Pro One RTDV on the PCI line but also put a Promise Raid Card Fast Trak 100 TX2 with 2 WD 120GB HHD with 8MB Buffers in Raid 0. I know that the PRO One sometimes has problems with high end sound cards probably most likely the one im putting in (Audigy Platnum 2) When I run the Editing Encoding and Decoding I'll shut down the Audigy. But I still am using a great deal of bandwidth with the PCI RAID Card. Will I be able to keep the transfer rates higher then I would if I didnt use the RAID PCI Card. I know I would easily be able to achieve 40MB transfer min if the editing and encoding was not occuring at the same time. I know the PCI bus is Capable of well over 200MB/s. Is it still going to be fast enough though. Or is there a smarter way of doing it.

ego533

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2003
As far as I know, the PCI bus has a transfer rate of about 133MB/s for the motherboard you are talking about (and for all desktop motherboards).

If you are concerned about bandwidth, you could purchase the P4C800-E Deluxe which includes a built in RAID 0 function for serial ATA. The only problem is that, according to ASUS, you must use Windows XP for this to work in RAID. This would give a total 266MB/s bandwidth on a different shared bus. Any motherboard with the ICH5-R southbridge has this built in Serial-ATA RAID functionality, not just this ASUS board. I'm not sure if other motherboards have the Windows XP lmitation or not. I have never seen an OS limitation for the specifications on any other.