yonith

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
would it make sense to buy a cheaper mobo now in anticipation of having to buy a mobo with pci-e 2.0 in the near future?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
That depends on what you are planning to do. PCIe 2.0 will be compatible with PCIe 1.0. Since most cards couldn´t even make use of the bandwidth a a 8x PCIe connection provides, i wouldn´t put too much attention toward it. The 8800 GTX might use more bandwidth than 8x can provide but i´m quite sure it doesn´t max out a x16 connection.

If you plan to buy a single PCIe 16x board and want to use it for the next 2 or 3 years, i´m certain it won´t really matter. Well maybe late next year if you buy the greatest and latest.

The problem you are facing is, if you wait for PCIe 2.0 to surface (Q3 this year or so), the next thing that will shorten the upgrade path of your board will be around the corner. A change of Processor Sockets or the switch from DDR2 to DDR3 - something like that.

In the end you need to know two things. How long will you use the board and what card(s) will you stick on it. If you use the board for more than 2 years and change your Graphic card every year, then waiting is a good choice. If you buy midrange cards or one high end that has to last for years or if you tend to switch boards after 2 or 3 years, then waiting is pointless.

yonith

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I plan on useing an 8800gtx and figure I'll be swapping motherboards in a year or so. I'm going with what ur saying and am not going to wait, but I'm unsure of which midrange motherboard to go with that will allow me to overclock sufficiently (mch, ich, and multiplier adjustment). I also think that a dual 16x would be good for me in case it turns out I don't really need to update the board that soon. The GA-965P-DQ6 seemed possible but i don't like how if you put in a second large video card blocks certain ports. I'd appreciate your opinion on what board would be good for this situation.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
PCIe 2.0 main benefits will be its ability to deliver more power and its cheaper cost. A PCIe 2.0 x4 link will now be able to provide the bandwidth of a PCIe 1.1 x8 link. effectively lower the cost which is good for us.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
A little on SLI. It´s just my opinion though.
Do you really intend to go SLI? If you take a look at various benchmark sites and compare older SLI setups (like a pair of 7800GTXs) against a newer single high end card, you will notice that the single card is usually the better choice. This leads to the conclusion that SLI makes no sense as possible upgrade path. On the other hand if you need the maximum performance, that can only be achieved by buying two of the fastest cards. That´s the rational part about SLI. Then there is the fun part and i won´t argue about that. I would sacrifice a few frames or dollars just for the experience and fun of toying around with an SLI setup. But that´s just me. :wink:

Since you want a board with two x16 slots it´s getting pretty slim in the mid-range segment. Most boards providing that kind of feature need an 590 or 680 nforce chipset which in turn is branded as a high end chip, thus you end up buying a high end board. I´m not too familiar with those chipsets but i have seen one or two threads in this forum about them recently. I believe THG did an article about different 680 boards too. I would check them out.

Maybe you should google a little and see if you can find a benchmark showing a 8800 GTX running in a PCIe 8x slot. That would greatly help you to make a decision. If the x8 slot doesn´t come with a performance hit, you would be able to save a lot of money by buying a cheaper SLI board.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
PCIe 2.0 main benefits will be its ability to deliver more power and its cheaper cost. A PCIe 2.0 x4 link will now be able to provide the bandwidth of a PCIe 1.1 x8 link. effectively lower the cost which is good for us.

That would make sense and is a good indicator for increased frequencies used . There are some more features aside from the "redefined slot power limit", as they call it.

You can check them out here.