PCI-e 6 pin Male to PCI-e adapter?

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Hi, Please see this photo:
CFJZb.jpg

Top cable is from my power supply and is a 6 pin male pci express power connector. Bottom cable is from the box of an Antec modular power supply and is also a 6 pin male pci express power connector which provides several Sata power connections. Although the wiring configuration is a little different with only 5 wires going into it.

I cant find a female female pci-e 6 pin power connector anywhere. For instance a search of Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...ps&field-keywords=pci-e+6+pin+adapter&x=0&y=0) does not show anything that will link the two.

I haven't got a female 6 pin pci-slot available to see how it actually fits together, but from what I can see of the male parts the actual cables inside the 'pins' are like little metal tubes which must slot over pins inside the female part. I just want to do this cheaply and easily, anyone know what I need to do it?

Thanks

Why are you trying to connect 2 power connections made not to be used together? Do you know the wiring layouts of both? What power requirements each runs on? Just because they have the same number of pins does not mean they will work when connected.

If you like your motherboard and power supply in one piece, I'd find another way of doing what you are trying to do.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
OK, i need sata power connections. This is the cable I am trying to connect to my power supply, which is designed to connect to a modular power supply from Antec. The Antec PSU has a Female slot for the 6 pin PCI-e to slot in if you need it.

QSOY2.jpg

I dont need it in that PC and need sata power connections in the machine in question. But obviously this is a different PSU which does not have a female slot for it to plug in to. What it does have though is a PCI-e lead, shown in my original picture.

bunion

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
Thank you for helping avoid an accident. I can establish that the pin out of the Antec cable is as follows:

3.3V GND 5V
12V GND EMPTY

My PCI-e is this:

GND GND GND
12V 12V 12V

Its a shame i will have to buy some extra adapter / cable probably. Now I know the pin outs I would like to think that connecting (somehow) a taken apart molex which has everything apart from the 3.3V would avoid me having to buy anything. It appears most SATA powered drives dont use the 3.3V. I dont think the HDD's I will be using need it. If they dont is there a way of connecting a molex to this Antec cable without risky DIY?

I'd just spend the 5 bucks on a pre-made converter. If you don't want to use newegg use ebay. You'll be amazed how much you can get for a few dollars there if you don't mind waiting for shipping from China.

Why try to save a few dollars where you are risking blowing your power supply and your hard-drive?

eric418

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011

If you have the required skill/knowledge and want to play around, you may simply get a PCI-e Male connector as below:

Untitled_-_5__69211_zoom.jpg

http://www.moddiy.com/products/6%252dPin-PCI%252dExpress-Power-Male-Connector-w%7B47%7D-Pins-%252d-Black.html

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
In short what you are trying to do isn't possible...

The longer answer is this. The 6-pin connector has only 12v power running to it. Molex connectors have 12v and 5v power running to it. Sata power connectors have 3.3v, 5v, and 12v power running to it. The 6-pin doesn't have all the necessary power connectors that you need for an Sata power connector.

ETA: I don't think that sata hdd's use the 3.3 line, however I am pretty sure they do use the 5v line, which the 6-pin doesn't provide.