PCI-e 6-pin to Molex 4-pin?

geffo

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 that has one spare power cable, a 6-pin PCI-e cable. I am using all of the sata power cables with my hard drives. I purchased a USB 3.0 PCIe card with a Molex 4-pin MALE port on it and it doesn't want to work unless it is powered. My one remaining PCI-e cord from the power supply is also a male.

I can't seem to find any PCI-e 6-pin female adapter or extender so that I can connect these two male pieces together. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions, or adapter to adapter solutions? Or should I just return the USB card and get one that doesn't require this kind of power?

geffo

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
Don't see any regular molex connectors. There are 4 sets of Sata - 2 DVD drives, an HDD and an SSD, and this is the ONLY freely dangling connector - the 6-pin. Most likely a Dell oddity, but it's a nice hand-me-down computer that I'd like to add a few things to. Most of the 4-port USB 3.0 drives are off brand (that I've found) and require the Molex power to run correctly.

geffo

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
This could work. This would split one of my Sata connectors, and would run to a Sata hard drive (or DVD) as well as the USB Pci-e card, correct? I can't tell if this is a male or female Molex 4-pin, but that's an easy adapter to female to find!

You're right, and the adapter has a male Molex, so you're good there since there are adapters for that as well. My only worry is as stated above the the Molex connector may or may not be long enough to reach the card.

geffo

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I found a 1ft female to female molex extender cable so I'm good there. As long as this won't cut my power to the HDD in a bad way, I think we did it! Thanks all!

Look at the big picture at the bottom of the ad, looks just like this

peripheralindex.jpg

It's Female. I can see that now, I just wasn't looking down the page to where that pic was when I originally looked at it.