[SOLVED] PCI-E cable pin keyed wrong.

Sep 10, 2020
I'm replacing the PSU on a desktop I built years ago.

The old PSU had a hardwired 8 pin cable to power the GPU. The cable from the new PSU is a 6+2 which should plug in just fine into the 8 pin socket.

The problem is one of the pins is keyed wrong. What I have circled in the picture is a rounded socket. The new PCI-E cable has a square pin at that location. The 7 other pins are keyed correctly.

The GPU is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
The old PSU is a Corsair CX750M
The new is an Antec EAG 750W

Is the socket for the GPU not a PCI-E? Is there an adapter available? If there is I'm not finding it.

Solution

The old PSU had a hardwired 8 pin cable to power the GPU. The cable from the new PSU is a 6+2 which should plug in just fine into the 8 pin socket.

The problem is one of the pins is keyed wrong. What I have circled in the picture is a rounded socket. The new PCI-E cable has a square pin at that location. The 7 other pins are keyed correctly.

Is the socket for the GPU not a PCI-E? Is there an adapter available? If there is I'm not finding it.

That's a motherboard part number, not GPU (video card). Is the pic from your motherboard or video card? PCIe cables (6+2)pin connect directly to the video card. The 8-pin (4+4) connect to the motherboard at the top left of the board to power the CPU. Do not use the old power supply wiring.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS