Question PCI-E Connector Fried To PSU

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
Last night while I was playing some video games my monitors went black but my PC was still functioning, I know because I was on discord and was still having a conversation with someone even after my screens went black. I restarted and things seemed fine but as soon as I booted into the game my screens went black again. So I restarted again but this time the screens went black as soon as I was signing into my computer. Then I restarted again and nothing came on screen at all but I could hear the Windows boot sound. So I plugged my monitor into integrated graphics and things seemed fine but my graphics card wasn't found when checking system information.

So I checked the connections and all that and checked the PSU connection thinking maybe something came loose. Checking that the PCIE connector from my GPU to PSU was fried. The connectors to the graphics card seemed fine, but where the cable connects to the PSU was melted on a couple of pins. Here is a pic of the connector
Well, I saw that and got another cable and plugged it into another section of my power supply and things booted up fine and my graphics card is detected in system information. I haven't tried running it on a load or anything, but in terms of just windows browsing everything seems fine.

So... at the very least I assume I should replace my power supply. But the reason I'm posting is I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is anything else I should check. Could this have actually been a GPU issue, like if I replace my PSU could I potentially fry another connector on that one as well? I'm not sure if there are logs to check or anything like that. Or will PSU replacement most likely be fine?

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I see that you're using Seasonic X-series PSU. What's the PSU part number? It's either SS-xxxKM or SS-xxxKM3 (or SS-xxxXM/XM2 if you have 1+kW unit).
X-series, back when it was released (KM in 2009 and KM3 in 2012) was one of the best PSUs. But nowadays, it's an old timer and way past it's prime.

With this, i have another question: When did you buy your PSU? And did you buy it brand new or used/refurbished?

Could this have actually been a GPU issue, like if I replace my PSU could I potentially fry another connector on that one as well?

I doubt your GPU being an issue, since you're using an old timer PSU. Most likely PSU showing it's age. Also, connector melting on PSU side, is very rare thing to happen.

Or will PSU replacement most likely be fine?

As far as i can tell, PSU replacement is going to be fine. And it's good idea to retire your workhorse.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
KM3 was released in 2012 and it came with 7 years of warranty. On one hand, it's nice to see that PSU lasted easy 10 years, but on another hand, it isn't surprising that Seasonic units far outlast their warranty period (since Seasonic PSUs are known for their reliability). And your PSU isn't toast either, just one connection melted. Still, better not continue using the old workhorse who had an injury.

For new PSU, you can look again towards Seasonic. Nowadays, Focus series is mid-tier and PRIME is high-end. Then again, when comparing Seasonic units against competition, then Focus series is also high-end and PRIME series is mythical.

I too am using Seasonic PSUs. Started out with S12II-520 (Skylake build) and M12II-850 EVO (Haswell build). Did retire both workhorses back in 2015/2016 and now, i'm running: PRIME 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TD] (Skylake build), PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TR] (Haswell build) and Focus+ 550 80+ Platinum [SSR-550PX] (AMD build, full specs with pics in my sig).
Both PRIME units i have, were the best 650W PSUs money could buy at purchase date. And they still are one of the best (if not the best) PSUs out there. Oh, Seasonic PRIME series is the only one in entire world, that has 12 years of warranty. Competition (Corsair, EVGA, Be Quiet! etc) offers 10 years of warranty at most.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think you're likely to be fine with another PSU, though nothing is, of course, certain.

However, this one is done. After this type of behavior, you could never trust the PSU again outside of something basic like testing a custom water loop without being connected to a PC. And I certainly don't mean "connected to a PC but not on load." Otherwise, it should be at a recycling center.

This is safety equipment after all; would you trust a pacemaker that failed to jolt your heart once? If your brakes failed to stop your car as you approached an intersection, would you chalk that up to a fluke and just drive slowly?

Reactions: TheMadskater

TheMadskater

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2013
KM3 was released in 2012 and it came with 7 years of warranty. On one hand, it's nice to see that PSU lasted easy 10 years, but on another hand, it isn't surprising that Seasonic units far outlast their warranty period (since Seasonic PSUs are known for their reliability). And your PSU isn't toast either, just one connection melted. Still, better not continue using the old workhorse who had an injury.

For new PSU, you can look again towards Seasonic. Nowadays, Focus series is mid-tier and PRIME is high-end. Then again, when comparing Seasonic units against competition, then Focus series is also high-end and PRIME series is mythical.

I too am using Seasonic PSUs. Started out with S12II-520 (Skylake build) and M12II-850 EVO (Haswell build). Did retire both workhorses back in 2015/2016 and now, i'm running: PRIME 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TD] (Skylake build), PRIME Ultra 650 80+ Titanium [SSR-650TR] (Haswell build) and Focus+ 550 80+ Platinum [SSR-550PX] (AMD build, full specs with pics in my sig).
Both PRIME units i have, were the best 650W PSUs money could buy at purchase date. And they still are one of the best (if not the best) PSUs out there.

Thank you so much for your help! Gonna order a new PSU today and not use my desktop until it arrives. Which honestly may be nice to have a break from technology